iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bulk conversion from jpg or bmp to tif

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcameron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Bulk conversion from jpg or bmp to tif Reply with quote

Two questions. Does anyone know a good program for doing bulk conversions between jpg, bmp and tif (without losing metadata)? I know I can do this in iview, but is there a better soluiont (several thousand files).

Second, why is tif better than bmp? This may be basic, but I would like to know. It seems tif is the preferred submission format so I was just wondering what its advantages over other formats might be.
focus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMP was just a format invented to throw up images onto a Windows computer screen, I believe. It doesn't do much else very well. Off the top of my head, you can't save a BMP in CMYK mode, you can't embed a color profile into a BMP, and those are both roadblocks to acceptance by professionals. TIFF was designed to accommodate the needs of many different professional uses, and so is in use by everyone from prepress to medical imaging to stock photos.
wcameron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I've just ugraded to Photoshop CS2 and iView Media Pro 3. What is the best way to take the jpgs that my camera produces (Canon S2 IS - I'm trading in my medium and large formats for a D30 soon) and convert them to tif AND change the color space to Adobe RGB (1998)?

I haven't found a way to do this in bridge and I'm often importing hundreds of images at a time. Hey why not add bulk renaming at the same time (I know, that's a separate step).
joe r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could write an action in Photoshop that converts to Adobe 1998 and then saves as a TIFF file. Then make this action into a Droplet, and/or make this a Helper Application in iView.
wcameron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I wouldn't have the slightest knowledge of how to write the code to do this so I guess it's one at a time for me.

Thanks again. I was just hoping there was something built in. Perhaps in Photoshop CS2 or Bridge. I'm just getting started with these programs as well.
Dierk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to write code to make an action in PS, just record it. Look into the help or PDF manual on the Ressources CD for more info on Actions and Droplets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wcameron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a try when I have a few minutes. Thanks for the advice.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: