iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error [-37] trying to open a catalog

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidwgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Error [-37] trying to open a catalog Reply with quote

After spending hours adding images to a new catalog using MediaPro, now when I try opening the same catalog using Catalog Reader (or MediaPro!) it fails with the following message:

'The command couldn't be completed because an error occurred while reading the catalog.

[-37]'

I have tried moving the catalog to a different location and renaming it. Still same error. This looks like a corrupt catalog. Is there any way to fix it or to avoid it re-occurring in future?
amitch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaargh!

Tell me there is a way to revive a catalog! I've just had the same error, losing a weeks worth of cataloguing.

I'm seriously questioning whether or not I can trust my photo collection longterm to a program that relies on the integrity of a single file like this.

Is there any work around to this error? Or is it a generic kiss of death?
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been discussed frequently on the forums (just recently there was this long discussion of the issue and I have posted my backup strategy). This gist of it comes down to using the "Synchronize annotations" feature to embed your annotation into the individual files. That way if your catalogue goes belly up you can just create a new one, re-import the photos, and carry on.

I've seen some postings about the iView developers working on ways of getting data from corrupted catalogues, but it seems clear to me that an ounce of prevention is worth several dozen pounds of cure in this case.
oregondailyemerald

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try duplicating the item and opening the copy. that works for me as long as i dont then rename the copy version in finder. probably not a very good fix but it's something to try.
reggiebarton

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Why did that work Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip - that worked, but why?

And now why can't I save back over the "corrupt" catalog!

When I save over it, close and try to re-open I get the same error.

This is sooo Odd.
reggiebarton

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Another experiment Reply with quote

I deleted the corrupt catalog, then emptied the system trash to make sure it was gone.

I made another duplicate of the now "fixed catalog" and renamed it the name of the "corrupt" catalog.

The newly renamed dupe of the "fixed" catalog gets the SAME ERROR when loading.

This is NOT a corrupt catalog. I'm thinking it's MUCH more likely a corrupt prefrence or something. Im going to try and look at these under another user account and on another mac and see if I get the same thing - I am hypothesizing that I won't.
Old Toad

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The -37 error is a bad file name (Mac platform). Are you using any special characters in the name? Have you run the file system check (fsck) on the drive to fix any potential overlaps, etc. Maybe that name is associated with a damaged portion of the directory file and using it sends it off to never-never land. Just wildly guessing here.

reggiebarton

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject: Filename Reply with quote

I'll try the FSCK - I had not tried that yet. No special characters and the catalog has been under this filename for weeks with no issues.

Regg.
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be a bad filename for one of the photos cataloged. Anything new that might be suspicious?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: