iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

handling of Canon picture styles in RAW

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex Ray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: handling of Canon picture styles in RAW Reply with quote

Newbie poster here!

I've just started using IVMP but have used PSCS2 and C1 for ages.

Does anyone have the lowdown on how IVMP handles Canon RAWs that have a picture style embedded in them?

what I know so far:

1. the style is stored as an EXIF tag
2. Rendering using 'manufacturer' raw processing gives me images and thumbs using the style, 'Apple' processing doesn't.

what i don't understand:

1. Why can't IVMP see the picture style tag?
2. If i use canon DPP to change an image's style, IVMP doesn't reflect the change.
3. I can't change the style in IVMP (I assume just changing the tag will force the 'manufacturer' processing to use the new tag).

Anyone have any insights?

TIA
roberte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I too tried to work out how to get this to work. In the end I reckon it's Canon DPP causing the problem.

Here's why. With other manufacturer's RAW converters you can embed new thumbnails and previews when you save new settings. For example save an NEF in Nikon Capture or a DNG in Photoshop CS2.

Nikon and Adobe also save instruction settings that store your adjustments. AFAIK Canon save the adjustment settings (Picture Styles) but don't update the thumbnail or preview. Or rather I couldn't see how to in DPP.

iView uses the embedded JPEG preview for fast display of RAW formats. If that preview is the same as the one at capture then that's what you will see.
Alex Ray

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but i had expected that if i changed the settings in DPP and then told IVMP to rebuild the item (with rendering set to manufacturer), it would look at the RAW and re-process it with the new settings.
I have also told IVMP to ignore embeded thumbs.

And there was me thinking iPhoto was quirky!

:-)

Alex
roberte

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I think the key word in your last post is manufacturer. Canon supply the SDK for their undocumented format, as does Nikon, so iView and other software vendors using it rely on the camera manufacturers software. If Canon decide not to have their SDK interpret Picture Styles that's their prerogative.

I really hope I'm wrong and there is a simple preference setting in DPP that does embed new previews or their SDK does indeed read Picture Styles.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: