iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewing DNG files ignores adjustments

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Viewing DNG files ignores adjustments Reply with quote

When I import a DNG file into iView Media Pro the thumbnail image reflects the preview embedded in the DNG (which may or may not match its current exposure/crop settings) and the media view reflects the unmodified original RAW file.

Is there a way for images viewed in IVMP to reflect the exposure settings I applied to the DNG file in Photoshop?

As a related question, does anybody know an easy way to have Photoshop update the embedded preview when I modify the exposure settings? As it stands I have to save as DNG into a new folder and then manually copy the new files over top of the old ones -- a very cumbersome process.
roberte

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Is there a way for images viewed in IVMP to reflect the exposure settings I applied to the DNG file in Photoshop?

Did you re-build the thumbnails/previews? If you are storing full screen previews and have set iView to always use them they will need to be rebuilt each time the original file is changed.

does anybody know an easy way to have Photoshop update the embedded preview when I modify the exposure settings?

In Bridge go to ACR preferences, Edit > Camera Raw Preferences and check Update Embedded JPEG Previews. You will suffer a performance hit though as ACR re-builds the previews. Most people do this towards the end of the workflow, before importing into iView.

-- Robert.
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Bridge go to ACR preferences, Edit > Camera Raw Preferences and check Update Embedded JPEG Previews. You will suffer a performance hit though as ACR re-builds the previews. Most people do this towards the end of the workflow, before importing into iView.

Thanks! I never use Bridge, so it hadn't occurred to me to look there. I also needed to update to Bridge to 1.0.3 before the preference appeared, and even then it was under Bridge > Preferences and not Edit > Camera Raw Preferences (though perhaps this is a Mac/Windows difference).
Macmom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed missing something.

I converted my Nikon NEFs to dng using ARC. Bridge is set to update full size jpegs. I have turned off Use Embeded Preview. Since putting the dngs into a catalog, I have edited them in Bridge Raw. The change is not reflected in IVM.

I should think that viewing them in Media View would show them edited as it uses the pictures in their folder, but it does not.

I used Batch Rebuild as I understand that builds a new preview. There was no change to reflect editing of images in Bridge Raw.

I put a new edited dng into the catalog and the editing is reflected.

If anyone can show me how to solve my problem, I shall be very grateful.

Suzie
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to turn 'Use Embedded Preview' ON, not off. When you update a DNG file in Photoshop it updates the preview... and so this is what you want iView to be using to create your thumbnails.

This has the unfortunate side effect that iView also uses the (usually small) previews for your non-DNG files, and this is why you would do a batch rebuild after importing JPEG images.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: