iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 gb catalog size

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strickce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: 2 gb catalog size Reply with quote

I am trying to add large previews to my catalog. When I rebuild the items, it stops at item 10562 (of 12798) each time I rebuild. The program continues to churn, but no previews are added.

I read in the forum that there is a catalog size limit of 2 gb. My catalog is now at 1.8 GB (actually 1,880,674,426 bytes). I think the rest of the pics would fit in 2 GB, but it stops me. I guess I could try to split into different catalogs, but don't really want to. Should I assume that the catalog limit size is stopping the previews? btw, the pics that don't get the previews are exactly like the ones before them that worked fine.

Thanks for any thoughts,
roberte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I think you have guessed right. It is time to split the catalog or reduce the catalog size. One way is to only build fullscreen previews for hero or highly rated images. The others images might be OK with just large thumbnails.

BTW are you using iView Media or MediaPro?
strickce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I am using mediapro as a trial right now. I'll more than likely buy it, since I've found nothing else that even comes close in terms of speed.

Now, how do I get rid of the large previews? No that the catalog is too large, I cannot seem to do anything with it.
roberte

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

First you need to be able to open the catalog.

Select the images from which you want to remove the fullscreen preview. Go to Edit > Thumbnails and Previews and uncheck Create fullscreen previews. Now re-build the thumbnail: Action > Rebuild Item.

Rebuilding items can increase or decrease the catalog depending on your settings. Hopefully a future version of MediaPro will let you (optionally) store the fullscreen previews separate from the catalog itself.
strickce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. I thought I had tried that, but I just now followed your instructions and it worked! I may try smaller previews to see if they will fit. A question if you don't mind being an instructor for a moment:
If I have smaller previews and do a slide show from the catalog reader, will I get the images expanded the way they are when I just run a slide show in iView with the media files available? I understand that the resolution wouldn't be the same. If the answer is that the slide show will show the small preview only, then I won't even try it.

Thanks
roberte

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

If the original images are available then you will see the high res images in the slideshow. Without the originals you can still view the thumbnails or previews fullscreen, they will just be pixelated.
strickce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Robert,

I am trying to set up my environment so I can do all editing on my iMac, and then distribute the catalog(s) to Windows machines so they can be viewed using the Catalog Reader. The small preview gives ma a catalog size that is OK, but the pictures are just too small on a Windows laptop.
When I use large previews, even with low quality, the catalog is dangerously close to the limit. I guess I will finally bite the bullet and split my catalog into sections.

I couldn't find a way to tell the Catalog Viewer to show slides in full screen mode. Have I missed something? If that worked, I could tolerate lower quality for the previews.

Is there an architectural reason that a catalog must be limited to 2GB?
strickce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am a happy camper now!
I found the magnifier and scaling controls in the Catalog viewer. The slide show and previews look OK when the small preview is enlarged. And my catalog of 12898 pictures is (only) 521.3 MB.

I'll purchase the product now.

Thanks for your help.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: