iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow...adding items to catalog....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> VB Script
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueman541

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Slow...adding items to catalog.... Reply with quote

Why is it soooooo slow adding images items to a catalog set?

I got my VBscript code to take my iMatch exported catalog to convert into iView, but....
it is so slow adding an image item to the catalog set. Takes about 1-2 seconds to add one image.
Code:

app.ActiveCatalog.mediaSets.Item(setIndex).add(app.ActiveCatalog.mediaItems(imageIndex))

If i remove that line of code, and replace it with some simluated write to text code, it blast through my 30k collection of images in few seconds, but using iView objects it slow as a snail.....

am i doing something wrong? how can i optimize it to go fasteR?
John Bean

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tested how long it takes to add an image manually? It's unlikely that a script will be quicker, the actual time will depend on thumbnail size and the type/size of source file not to mention lots of other miscellaneous settings.

Is speed a real issue? When I originally imported (by script) my 20k mainly raw images from another app I left it running overnight... and then some. No big deal, it's a one-time operation after all.
blueman541

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very True, it is a one time thing

Here is my setup. I have dozens of images backup on CDs for offline storage and I already imported them into iView, just there is no catalog sets associated with the images. I have the catalog set organzied already in iMatch and wanted to bring them over to iView.

When i manually select say, 5,000 images to add to a catalog set, it happen nearly instantly.

iMatch exports its catalog structure out into text, i took that and wrote vbscript to import into iView, my script works fast, until i started adding images to catalog sets.

My algorithm or watever on processing this as follow:
-take all mediaitems images and insert them into a hashtable like datastructure keyed by filepath to get the image index
-iterrate through iMatch txt file, using the hashtable to find the image and insert them into the series of catalog sets it belongs to, as images can belong to more than one set.

I even tried just using 10lines of code, to add 10 images manaually via script file, and it took about 10 seconds lol.

The images have already been imported, i jsut want to oraganize them. Maybe im doing redundant steps when i used this line of code?
Code:

app.ActiveCatalog.mediaSets.Item(setIndex).add(app.ActiveCatalog.mediaItems(imageIndex))

Maybe im calling the wrong method or using wrong approach?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> VB Script All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: