iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon CR2 files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff thompson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Canon CR2 files Reply with quote

I e-mailed tech support, but so far no response, so I thought I would toss this out here. Does anyone know about support for the new Canon CR2 raw format? At this point, I-view doesn't recognize these as image files and ignores them.

Thanks,
Jeff
Christopher Irion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: CR2 Support? Reply with quote

I can't find any information either. Also, Apple Image Capture will import jpegs but not CR2 files. You have to drag them out of the CF card file to your hard drive manually.
msbc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that support for CR2 in i-view or any other application is dependent on the Canon SDK for reading the images. This has not been updated yet and all software developers are waiting on this new SDK from Canon so they can support CR2.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I don't know what is Canon CR2 file format, is it the CRW?
I bought a Canon 1Ds and in iVmp 2.0.3 I cannot see the thumbnails and in the media panel I all I see is a 288x192 image (from a 10MB files...)
is that the problem you have?
gianluca

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, I forgot to write my name..
sandra

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: CRW file formats Reply with quote

On 21 Mar 2004 we updated to Iview Media Pro from 1.5.9 to 2.0.3, since then we can no longer read .CRW files from Canon from our D30. We contacted Iview tech support and received the following reply

"there does seem to be a bug in MediaPro version 2.0.3 that effects CRW files, sorry about that. It was not present in earlier versions of MediaPro 2 and the developers are working on it at the moment.

In 2.0.3 we introduced full Raw Canon CRW rendering in addition to being able to display the preview image which MediaPro has always been able to do. But that seems to have introduced a bug. We are working on it but I don't have a firm date yet by which the update will be available.

The quickest way to check for the update is to use 'Check for updates' from Apple menu.

Regards, Phil."

So far they haven't fixed the bug. Hope this helps.
jeff thompson

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CR2 file is the new Raw format for Canon. The 1D Mark II is the only camera that uses it so far.

Jeff Thompson
sahutch

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Support for Canon CR2 files. Reply with quote

Sure would be nice to know if we can at least expect support for the Canon 1D Mark II camera in iView version 2.5? Any chances?

Steve
Phil
iView staff
iView staff

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preview support for the CR2 is in version 2.5.1, so you can get those files cataloged now. There is a nice preview in these images so for a lot of uses this will be the best option because of the speed. As msbc mentioned we are waiting for the SDK (software development kit) from Canon so that we can implement the full Raw support.

I hope that is useful? Phil.
Evan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: CR2 and annotations Reply with quote

Here's another problem with CR2 files.

I have a CD full of them, and I want to convert them to JPEGs for editing. iView does a fine job of the resizing and saving, but all of the annotation data is stripped. Do you know what's happening with that and how I can stop that from happening? I've tried saving in a few other file formats and in all cases the annotations are gone (no captions, photograher name...). Any help or ideas would be apprecaited. Is this something that we'll have an answer to after Cannon releases new software, or is it an iView thing?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gszasz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Canon Raw Reply with quote

According to this

Canon Raw images (CRW and TIF) support page:
Quote:
The current version of Mediapro 2.5 (at least build 3345 for Windows and 334E for Macintosh) do support .CR2 images in preview mode.

I do not seem to be able to find this build (mac wise). The lattest build on the downloads page is version 2.5.1 (Build 33A3).

I am hoping that this new build will give me full rendering of my Canon Raw Tifs comming out of a EOS 1DS instead of just getting tiny little thumbnail preview.

I hope the new build is released soon....
roberte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Canon Raw Reply with quote

Gszasz wrote:
I am hoping that this new build will give me full rendering of my Canon Raw Tifs comming out of a EOS 1DS instead of just getting tiny little thumbnail preview.

I don't think a new iView build will help. Doesn't iView use the Canon SDK? If so then the tiny preview you mention is all that Canon puts into 1Ds raw files. Ask Canon to offer software that can embed large previews like Nikon does in Nikon View.

The other option is to let iView render the full raw file and wait patiently for it to load. Wouldn't it be good if MediaPro had a hotkey (like keyboard 'L' = low res) for the option to toggle the use of built-in preview or full rendering, without the need to fumble through preferences? Then when in Media view you can quickly browse small preview, and hit L if you want to a larger version.
Oreb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not getting anything but an icon with Canon 1D RAW (.tif) files. Very unsatisfactory. With other browsers, i.e. BreezeBrowser, the thumbnails work fine so I'm thinking this isn't a problem with the SDK. I mean this RAW file type is more than four years old!

I do shoot a small JPEG file with each so I'm wondering if I'm going to have to keep all those in order to catalog my system. I'd really rather not but haven't had much luck finding an application that is both intuitive and "sees" my files. I work mostly with the 1D files but also have 10D CRW files and they work fine.

I'm still in evaluation and new here; I haven't even *found* contact information for support yet. I will but meanwhile, does anyone know if the bug with the 1D files is being worked on? This is a pricey app to have to start out with a work around. :(

O.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: