iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PS files w/alpha layers don't display properly

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvincemery

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: PS files w/alpha layers don't display properly Reply with quote

Quicktime 7 installed on OS X 10.3.9 and IVMP 6.4.
I recently updated the OS X and IVMP.
I believe this is a new issue in my catalog: my PSD files that include alpha files don't display the composite image that I make sure is saved with every PS file. Instead, the image is displayed with one of several channel masks. Any help?
NancyRaymond

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: It's new in 2.6.4... Reply with quote

... and I hope they fix it in 2.6.5.

2.6.3 is fine with 10.3.9 and Quicktime 7.
Phil
iView staff
iView staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quicktime 7 did change the way that these things work. Your PSD may of worked in version 2.6.3 but other images wouldn't of. The solution is to change a settings file in MediaPro. It is much quicker to fix this in this settings file rather than wait for translation etc. The downside of that is that it is quite hidden. I will write a Q&A about it ASAP. But, in brief, all you need to do is go into the plug-ins (application package on a Mac) open the general section and edit the settings.txt file in a text editor.

There are only two settings usb_detect and alfa_detect. Both are set to 1 (on). The one you want to change is the Alpha Detect setting, so change the 1 to a 0 (zero). The other setting is wether the 'Import from camera' dialog automatically pops up in MediaPro when a usb card/camera is plugged in.

As I say I will do a proper Q&A on this and I'd like to write a small script makes these changes for you and makes it simpler. For someone not familiar with how plg-ins work that may not be much help but I will explain all that in the Q&A.
NancyRaymond

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works! Thanks!

What other images would not work? Just curious.
acekin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Alpha detect setting does not work Reply with quote

I was annoyed by the yellow mask on some images and read the Q&A about it. I followed the instructions and changed the alpha detect setting from 1 to 0 and restarted the application. I pointed to an image with they yellow mask and pressed Ctrl-B to rebuild the thumbnail. It still shows the mask. I tried changing the color of the mas to tones of gray, hoping that the middle gray ma not have an effect on it. Upon refreshing the thumbnail, I now see gray mask. This did not happen in 2.6.x and is very annoying.

I am using 3.0.1, Windows XP Pro, all patches applied, QuickTime 7.0.3.

Cemal Ekin
acekin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: I fixed the problem Reply with quote

I wrote an action to convert alpha to layer and run in on the problem images. That fixed the problem for me.

Cemal Ekin
joe r

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever a resolution to this issue? I have a coupla hundred PSD files with layers that don't show a preview in iView 3.02.
acekin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Regrettably, no Reply with quote

The matter was resolved, until I updated to the latest version. Now, I cannot get rid of the silly yellow mask at all, even using the methods previously presented.

I met the representatives of iView Media at the PMA Show in Orlando last February and I was promised a response if I mailed to them a specific example file. Since then, I sent two messages with the image file attached and a follow up e-mail, but have not received any response. Quite a few of my images retain that silly yellow shade over them no matter what I do.

I was hopeful that after talking to a person, in person, I would receive an answer, alas...

Cemal Ekin
RobMills

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Alpha channel display Reply with quote

Hey guys! Its 2007 and we are just about to get into the Microsoft branded version and we STILL have yellow mask problems with all these workrounds. Now: Heres the subtle detail that seems to have been missed. All fine when viewing files. Just try and make an HTML template and see what happens. The deadly yellow mask is back! Is this a permanent feature now or is there something that can be done. PLEASE. Phil are you there?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: