iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FTP in iView

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidtownend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: FTP in iView Reply with quote

My question is....why bother doing this in iview ?

Its a broken 'feature' - to get into the language of our new owners....

Having to re-type into dialogues painful bits of detailed information (password / user names blah blah) eveytime you say 'no' to a question it asks you is madness.

Is there no way of saving this information before you press 'make' ? Or do you have to pass the iview FTP test first time before you are allowed to save the FTP settings ? I have tried the Options > Save but have noticed this only saves settings after the settings have been actually used...not before. More frustration !

Has the skip existing files (a great idea...but just that) as it would safe having to regenerate and then re-upload the whole gallery again been fixed yet ?

Thanks, David
PowerMac G5 2.5 Dual 6GB RAM OS 10.3.9 Additional 400GB Internal Drive 2 x Sonnet Fusion 500 eSata Box's with 5 x 500GB Seagates Nikon D3 Epson 4000 Scanmaker 9800XL LaCie 22" and 19" Calibrated Monitors ProfileMaker 5.0
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the language of the new owners? Seems to be equally the language of its competitors.

On your less provocative main question, I do like iView's HTML galleries and think they are a strong point, but I don't use the FTP feature. That's not because it is broken, since it doesn't seem to be so for me, but because I prefer to review the site content in a browser and check everything's right before uploading. Almost always I spot something, a typo or a picture that I need to adjust, and I have to run through a couple of iterations. When I do use it, it works, but I think you're better advised to upload via a regular FTP program.

Skip existing files is, as you say, a good idea in theory, but I don't think any of iView's competitors have got this right.

John
davidtownend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What competitors ? Oh you mean the mass entertainment device manufacturing company formally known as Apple Computers....no comment. I'm just waiting for all of them to blend seamlessly into one big Corporate (MicroAppleGoogle Inc) on-line / off line mess of binary code...Once all the ego's have been paid off handsomly. But I digress a tad...

On iviews HTML galleries... I use this feature a lot. Its very good. But I can't help thinking iView are not expending enough effort on expanding its useability. For example :

Why have you got to regenerate the whole gallery again every time you make a typo. Could it not 'remember' what it has done, and just edit the web site it has just created ? I often have to generate a gallery 5 or 6 times to 'get it right'. With a galleries that have 300 - 500 images this is such a waste of time to have to remake each time.

All the best,
David
PowerMac G5 2.5 Dual 6GB RAM OS 10.3.9 Additional 400GB Internal Drive 2 x Sonnet Fusion 500 eSata Box's with 5 x 500GB Seagates Nikon D3 Epson 4000 Scanmaker 9800XL LaCie 22" and 19" Calibrated Monitors ProfileMaker 5.0
jimhere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like iView for quick galleries, but for the real thing I use the apps I mentioned in your other post
http://forum.iview-multimedia.com/viewtopic.php?t=6549

iView is a great image organizer. I have accepted that they are not a dynamic web publisher though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: