iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing the file name of the index page?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siegman@stanford.edu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Changing the file name of the index page? Reply with quote

I'd like to change the file name of the index.html file for an iView-generated HTML gallery to something more specific to a given gallery, either after generating the index and media pages, or before, without having to go in and change all the links from the media pages back to the index page.

Is this possible, in the template stage, or in some other way?

(Email cc of replies appreciated.)
Phil
iView staff
iView staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mediapro always generates an index page, there is no way around that. The normal html way of organizing different galleries is to put them in different subfolders. That way every item in the gallery is unique within it's own folder. 'OK' you say that means common assets are downloaded more often then they need to be. But that is when you add a few ../../'s to the assets paths and use one assets folder for the whole site so that each assets reference is identical and they onlt need be downloaded once.
jdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can use a high level editor like GoLive or Dreamweaver, when you rename the file, all the links will be automatically updated.
siegman@stanford.edu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies. I appreciate the utility of putting different topics into different subfolders/subdirectories, but I'd also like to be able to give the primary (i.e., index) page in that subfolder a distinctive name, something like "This_particular_topic.html". Among other things, this would give the URL pointing to that page a distinctive name -- but I guess you're saying the distinctive name should be associated with the enclosing subfolder, and the index.html page in that subfolder then opened by default.

Here's an alternative idea: Provide a couple or three generic user-definable field phrases in the Gallery Export program and prompt for them in the Make Gallery step, in the same way users are already prompted for Table Grid numbers. Then people could commit whatever kinds of creative HTML sins they wanted to.

Thanks again.
ravensmith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: changing index.html to [name].html Reply with quote

I was having problems with this too because I was putting photographs of different clients' sessions on my website at the same time and since each gallery is named index.html, I was having to come up with different ways to name them all and make sure all the links worked properly. It was quite time consuming and there were always one or two links I missed and I gave up trying to change all the links in the source folder. So here's what I did.

I opened up the document in Dreamweaver and clicked on Edit>Find & Replace and input the following:
Find in: Folder
Search: Source Code
Find: index
Replace: [name]

It changed all the links from index.html to [name].html and even changed index1.html to [name]1.html in every html document in that folder.

I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

siegman . . heres an idea . . . if you just want to rename the index to something nicer then just make a 'copy' of the original index.html and leave it in its folder beside the original one. That way . . . you can launch your new renamed html and when you go to media pages and want to return to the index they will simply refer to the original index. No editing required.
mklass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: links to related files Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Mediapro always generates an index page, there is no way around that. The normal html way of organizing different galleries is to put them in different subfolders. That way every item in the gallery is unique within it's own folder. 'OK' you say that means common assets are downloaded more often then they need to be. But that is when you add a few ../../'s to the assets paths and use one assets folder for the whole site so that each assets reference is identical and they onlt need be downloaded once.

OK I understand this, although I have to always need to experiment with how many ../.../... link to what level.

Assuming I am creating my Website in Dreamweaver, and then create a new folder for each iView catalog so that the index.htm file names do not conflict, what do I do to get the related files to work properly?

I have the proper structure in the iView HTML templates directory, but the links to the various support files (.css; navigation bars) don't work beyond the iView generated Index file. The media files have broken links.

Do I define the ../../../ (however may repititions) in the iView HTML template, or adjust it afterward on the generated pages.

It sure would be better if iView simply let you name the index page, an put them al in the same folder.

Mick
Peter Berger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: links to related files Reply with quote

mklass wrote:
It sure would be better if iView simply let you name the index page, an put them al in the same folder.

That is not a good idea. It won't take long until you override an existing file with the same name. Also it is not easy to remove one gallery if all files are in one folder.

None of the many HTML web gallery tools available (JAlbum, BreezeBrowser, PSCS, IMatch, e.t.c.) offer this feature and that is not without a reason...

Go for the subfolders, you won't regret it.

mklass wrote:
I have the proper structure in the iView HTML templates directory, but the links to the various support files (.css; navigation bars) don't work beyond the iView generated Index file. The media files have broken links.

If you have troubles with external files or with backlinks then post a link to your gallery so we can see where the problem is.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: