iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MediaPro item modified date

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> VB Script
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianS

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: MediaPro item modified date Reply with quote

Have been trying to find a modified date for the actual MediaPro item in the database, the Catalog/Modified/Annotation dates only refer to when data has been synced with the source file.
I want to write a script that selects all records where the database modified date is greater than the actual file mod date, so I can then do a sync on only those records.

All I can find at the moment in the model is the 'Modified' boolean field which is set to true if changes are made to the record in MPro, and is reset to false once you save the database.
John Beardsworth's free script works fine for the other way around, i.e. ehn the file has been externally modified.

Any thoughts or am I stymied by the object model?

BrianS
John Bean

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem that many people have found. It would be so easy to have provided at least a "sync flag" that gets set when any change is made in IVMP and cleared when metadada gets synced. But there is no such thing so I maintain one manually.

It's a poor substitute and it relies on maintaining a workflow but it works for me the vast majority of the time. I use a custom field that gets added automatically to new files along with copyright. etc. I ignore it until I perform all the usual grading, tagging, etc in IVMP then select files using the "sync" tag, remove the tag, then sync the files.

That part is easy, but I need to remember to add the "sync" tag back to any image whose metadata I modify later or it doesn't get synced, but on the whole it works quite well. Not as well as it would if the database maintained the flag itself though :-(
BrianS

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks for the clarification.

Re your custom field and your comment [but I need to remember to add the "sync" tag back to any image whose metadata I modify later or it doesn't get synced,]

Have you thought of using the mediaItem.Modified value to select with?.

This is set to True when you make any mod to a record, or when you import any new file/image. However it is reset to False as soon as you Save the database.[/quote]
John Bean

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the mediaItem.Modified flag at all, mainly because of the sloppy way I work. I don't usually sync before closing a session, nor do I sync at every import - I just do it "as and when", usually every few days or erm... when I remember ;-)

However, you make a very valid point - the "modified" flag can indeed be used in a script to add my "sync" flag to any items that need it, as long as I remember to run it before saving. I think I'll do that right now and try to condition myself to using the script before exiting a session.

Hmm. If only there was a way to automatically run a script before saving...
John Bean

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Something odd going on with the "modified" flag. My simple script sets my sync flag in any item it finds with the "modify" flag set, and it fails to find some changes like a label colour although it works every time with other IPTC data like a keyword.

It seems a bit flaky, I don't think I'll rely on it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> VB Script All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: