iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating templates and standards - is the table required??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_laura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Creating templates and standards - is the table required?? Reply with quote

I have been playing with making custom templates to match the general look of our photographer's website and have had generally satisfying results EXPECT for one issue...

It seems that a table is necessary to generate the thumbnails for the index(s) page! Usually I find that using tables to organize thumbnails is not nequired - one can use divs instead. It takes a lot less code.

Everything else I have been able to change to my liking: replacing the depreciated font and attribute tags in favor of an external CSS file, putting in the right DOCTYPE, etc.

The CSS-styled template works fine in IE, Mozilla and Safari but I would like to go the full route and elliminate the table from the index page. Does anybody know a workaround?

Also in future versions of iView will there be standards-compliant templates? I would think it would be a good idea since it would lessen the likelyhood of the template not working in future versions...

Thanks in advance ^_^
focus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another thread somewhere around here where a bunch of us were rolling our eyes over the tons of outdated code that are still in the templates. It's yet another necessary fix that will hopefully turn up in whatever update is on the way, someday.
the_laura

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh you're right, thanks ^^
But that's more of "why is the template broken in such and such browser?" - I know how to fix that, just being extra picky heh.
jimhere

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there examples of thumbnail "grids" out there online somewhere? I've looked around on A List Apart, etc.
Not that this would be automatically generated by iView, I just wanted to try it out myself.
Peter Berger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: is the table required?? - yes and no! Reply with quote

the_laura wrote:
It seems that a table is necessary to generate the thumbnails for the index(s) page!

Though the documentation says so it is not necessary to show the table code to the viewer. :-)

You can hide it as a comment and iView will still generate the index correctly.
I use this method in my EOS template.

Code:
<!-- <table><tr><td> -->
<div>
(iView:Preview)
</div>
<!-- </td></tr></table> -->

That way you could generate a floating layout where the thumbnails follow the window border instead of a fixed grid.

Regards,
- Peter -
www.peterberger.at
the_laura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ^_^ for your advice!
Commenting out the table worked perfectly!
Who wouldv'e thought...

NOW if only I could stop the html engine from generating the border attribute in IMG and the A HREF target attribute. Hmm.
Peter Berger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_laura wrote:
NOW if only I could stop the html engine from generating the border attribute in IMG and the A HREF target attribute. Hmm.

Avoid the (iView:Preview) phrase. Build your own link unsing:

(iView:SourceURL)
(iView:PreviewURL)
(iView:PreviewWidth)
(iView:PreviewHeight)

HTH,
- Peter -
www.peterberger.at
the_laura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ok - I'll give that a try!
Thanks again!
Phil
iView staff
iView staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of getting swamped with suggestions I thought I'd let you know we do listen. There are limitations to the way the HTML gallery feature works at the moment. We can't change this kind of thing in an update because people will have existing themes that we don't want to upset. So a major release is the time to get rid of as many limitations as possible. The need for tables is one of the things that will change, I've suggested a simple tag to mark the beginning and ending of the code you want repeated for each column and row of thumbnails on the index page.

We will make other changes to the HTML and hopefully free everyone up so we can all make the galleries we want. The way assets are handled springs to mind. We're a long way from it at the moment, unfortunately, but I will post back here when the next major release is coming and there is a Beta so that everyone can give the HTML galleries a good test.
snah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 'the_laura'

I know this is an old thread, still I'd like to ask if you have completed to build the W3C-compliant template without a table structure?

I am anticipating to build a template that conforms to XHTML 1.0 Transitional (or even strict) without tables.

I'd appreciate your feedback.
Thanks, Hans.

iVMP v3.1.3 / PS CS2 / Windows XP Prof. / plenty of CPU power, RAM and Diskspace
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: