iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon D1s Raw files

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Voges

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Canon D1s Raw files Reply with quote

Hi, Can iView create a preview from Canon D1s RAW files. It seems IView sees the RAW file as a normal TIFF file and give a very bad soft preview.
Am I missing someting here? or are they not going to support 1Ds raw.
roberte

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iView builds thumbnails, it doesn't build previews. For Media view and slideshows iView needs to show the original file, and when displaying raw files in uses the built-in JPEG preview. As the Canon 1Ds raw files only have a tiny preview, when enlarged in Media tab they would appear very pixelated (soft).

The other option is to uncheck the iView preferences for using embedded previews forcing iView to render the full 1Ds raw image. Providing that is you're patient and have a fast computer.
tomfid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Alternative: DNG Reply with quote

I've had trouble getting full rendered 1Ds previews with "use embedded previews off". However, even if that worked, it would be fairly slow. I think a better option is to convert 1Ds tiffs to DNG format with a large embedded preview.
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have trouble with Canon 1Ds files. No matter what settings I choose, it will use the small embedded previews. iView 3.1.3 still can't render bigger previews from the 1Ds TIF raw files. (1st generation 1Ds - aka 1Ds MKI)

This is an issue that has been going on for years, and it seems that no solution is available.

If iView needs a 1Ds RAW TIFF to take a closer look, I'll be more than glad to upload one in my FTP server.

My understanding is the iView is geared towards Professional photographers. The Canon 1Ds is a professional camera and still being used by many pros.

This is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Dimitri Papadopoulos
Montreal, Canada
roberte

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dimitri,

iView isn't a RAW converter and uses the camera manufacturers SDK to support Canon RAW files or on Mac the operating system. Try toggling the preferences for RAW handling.

Future versions of Expression Media will most likely have a different method for rendering RAW files. As iView is now no longer developed try putting in a polite user suggestion to: xmbugs at microsoft.com.
tomfid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that Iview isn't a raw converter doesn't excuse the fact that Iview has claimed 1Ds support for years, and it hasn't worked for many users for years. If they're using the Canon SDK they should be able to render previews fairly fast, because DPP can, even on aging hardware. DNG conversion seems to be the most practical option for 1Ds files (but keep the original). - Tom
roberte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

I agree Expression Media should support Canon 1Ds TIF RAW files. DNG is the most common suggestion I hear for 1Ds owners however until another mainstream RAW converter supports the format you are locking yourself into Adobe Camera Raw.

If they're using the Canon SDK they should be able to render previews fairly fast, because DPP can

Camera manufacturers are not known for spending a great deal of effort on their SDKs. After all it is for third party vendors. Microsoft's "solution" with the Windows Imaging Component is to pass the responsibility back to the manufacturer and it may work. I wonder if Apple will follow suit.
tomfid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point...

What would be ideal from my perspective is a very fast raw preview builder, like the 1/2 size mode in DCraw, where no demosaicing is required. Then it ought to be possible to render the raw nearly as fast as a JPEG, with more than enough resolution to judge sharpness.

Tom
roberte

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

You have some valid complaints and good ideas. As iView is now no longer developed have you thought of submitting requests to the Expression Media team? I can assure you they do listen and act on user suggestions.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: