iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revisiting Expression Upgrade.....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evonzz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Revisiting Expression Upgrade..... Reply with quote

Well, its been a while since i considered moving my IVMP catalogs to Expression. So now i noticed we are on V2 (beta). On this forum there still seems to be a mild chorus of discontent.

Are there any glorious stories of happy use of Expressions ??

I would like to know how these issues are addressed with Expressions:

1 - handling of large tiff files (>10,000 px length) that caused crashes. this was a QT issue. link to previous post HERE

2 - unable to save when catalogs approach 2GB (often less) and general catalog size limits?

3 - handling of large PSD files (500MB - 2GB files)?

4 - importing IVMP catalogs.?

Also i am still using IVMP 3.1.1. If i am considering upgrading to expressions, should i upgrade IVMP to 3.1.3 first and then EM?

Finally, the layout of those EM forums are bloody disgraceful compared to the ease of use of this iview forum. If i go EM, i would like to see an EM page added to this site. Surely not that difficult.

XP PRo, P4 - 3.2 GHz, 2GB Ram, IVMP 3.1, CS2, Whisky - 2 rocks
MBP 2.17Ghz, OSX 10.5.2
roberte

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rodney,

I can't answer all your questions but I'll give my opinion on the others.

Compared to iView MediaPro 3.1.3 xMedia 1 was not an essential upgrade IMHO. When xMedia 2 is released it will have many bug fixes and features that make the upgrade from iView worthwhile. Currently as a beta v2 should not be used in production. There are still many areas I would have liked to seen addressed in v2 but didn't; they may make it in v3.

1. I haven't test this but v2 may fix it. v2 will not require QT for Windows. However to get the full feature set you need to install QT!

2. We have to wait for v3 for the Catalog limits to be addressed. v2 apparently does close more gracefully (iView/xMedia 1 just crash!). Microsoft changed the limit to 1.6GB to be safe.

3. See Q1 :).

4. IVMP Catalogs will open in xMedia 1 and 2. This is true for any MediaPro 3 Catalogs and *should* be the same for MediaPro 1 and 2 Catalogs. If you add any data then save them there are no guarantees the Catalog will open in earlier versions. This is the same will all databases. One thing is certain; any info saved in the new features of v2 such as heirarchical keywords will not work in iView.

I agree the Microsoft forums are not as easy to use and that includes the new one dedicated to Exopression. These forums will close eventually, it's just a matter of when.
Dierk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add my opnion and some tips.

While v2 still hasn't added much to MP 3.x it is a lot faster. Like Robert I find a lot of issues I had with MP v3 are still existent in xMedia v2 though none of them is a show-stopper for me. Among them are the catalogue size limit, XMP incompatibilities, the inability to copy/move folders directly in the program [Windows issue]. I haven't tested the included downloader for some time but remember it being unusable; since I own Breeze Downloader Pro, which is probably the most flexible downloader around, it doesn't matter much to me.

Most bug fixes have been under the hood, usually not visible to the user. As mentioned above, one very positive result is the fastness. On-the-fly rendering of images, instead of relying on pre-rendered and stored previews, is now very fast, probably as fast as it can get. I'd venture to say xMedia's Media view and the new Light Table are faster than Lightroom. I haven't done any lab tests on it, and I remind you that LR uses proxies to make rendering seem faster.

The most obvious new feature is a Virtual Earth window, which is far from perfect, but useful if you have to include geo-data within your photos but have no way to write GPS-data into EXIF when shooting [something only Nikon and some Ricohs can do ATM].

For a while I used MP 3.1.3 as my production environment and xMedia v2beta for testing purposes. Over the past two weeks I promoted the beta to production and set Mp to be my back-up. xMedia v2beta, for me, turns out to be as stable as the last iView version. But there is no guarantee.

xMedia and MediaPro can be installed parallel though you might want [or have] to copy over customised templates and scripts from one to the other installation. You also have to change any program ID within scripts to reflect the new name.

As for the Microsoft forums, try getting in with a newsreader if youa re comfortable with that. Not that there's much discussion, a lot less visitors in the MS forums than in the old iView ones. Still, might be helpful.

PS: I really hope Robert is right on account of more ressources for xMedia's development. Currently it is only the user-base, some very determined folks, providing the program with public exposure. Sadly the apparent standstill - in matters of features - of the development does not help a lot. Many people see xMedia as dead, and it is hard not to see it so.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: