iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iView MediaPro and Expression Media Compatability

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: iView MediaPro and Expression Media Compatability Reply with quote

In the FAQ section about Expression Media iView have stated that "catalogs made with iView MediaPro 3.x or higher will be compatible with Expression Media".

Does anyone know if they have made a similar statement about the continuity of data that can be output from the application or not? I canít find anything on this site. On a personal level I'm thinking of the XML that can be output from a catalogue. If the format of that changes then some of the things I'm playing with would need to be tweaked, reworked or even abandoned.

Likewise there are a large number of users who make use of the scripting capabilities of MediaPro, whether in VB Script, JavaScript or AppleScript. Will there be continuity with these?

I understand that iView may be reluctant to give too much away on this but it would set my mind at ease to know that Iím not wasting effort on something that wonít work going forward.

Does anyone out there have any clues?

Ian
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

AFAIK they've said nothing that would help here.

John
roberte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Think about it logically. Microsoft are going to charge an extra US$100 for Expression Media. For that premium they had better be adding a lot more to MediaPro rather than removing features such as scripting and exporting data.

That said and to quote John, "DAM is like serial monogamy". It's not a matter of if but when you need to migrate to another application. That could be for many reasons; iView goes in a different direction, isn't updated, or you move to Linux ;). Or something better comes along.

While Aperture, Lightroom, etc aren't really competitors for what MediaPro can do now, they have raised the bar for what is expected. With the announcement of lightroom I like to think Adobe encouraged Apple to improve Aperture. The iView team must also feeling this "encouragement" for Expression Media. I'm looking forward to the second quarter of 2007.
soulgrafitti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"While Aperture, Lightroom, etc aren't really competitors for what MediaPro can do now, they have raised the bar for what is expected. With the announcement of lightroom I like to think Adobe encouraged Apple to improve Aperture. "

I spent a lot of time at the Adobe booth at MacWorld. They have seriously improved their products. Lightroom looks very good now. Much smoother interface than iView and nice, close integration with Photoshop. Bridge becomes actually useful! I came back to work in iView and can see it lagging. The whole iView tool pallet is looking very dated and clumsy in comparison to what I saw.

I didn't even look at Aperture. I think it will take a little more time for Aperture to develop the depth iView has now. But Adobe is coming on strong.

My fear is that iView is going to be subsumed by the MS media hype and suck as a result. Especially for us Mac users. I mean, there is nothing in the MS development path that is good for a Mac user as everything is geared to supporting Windows. I'll take the upgrade from MS and see how it is. I feel much better now that I see there are otehr credible options.
Dierk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulgrafitti wrote:
I spent a lot of time at the Adobe booth at MacWorld. They have seriously improved their products. Lightroom looks very good now. Much smoother interface than iView and nice, close integration with Photoshop. Bridge becomes actually useful! I came back to work in iView and can see it lagging. The whole iView tool pallet is looking very dated and clumsy in comparison to what I saw.

Strange, I see quite the opposite, but then I found over the decades I am on earth that "dated" and old-fashioned UIs are often much more productive than ne, cool ones. A case in point is many XML-UIs, which forego standard mouse shortcuts for a cool look, like double-clicking the title bar of a window to maximise-minimise it.

MediaPro's UI does need some changes - like complete multi-monitor support, including parallel viewing of Organise and Info panel -, most of them getting it away from their MacOS 7-9 roots towards Windows flexibility. Compared to Lightroom [or Photoshop CS3] I find MP very easy to use.

And then there is the point, Robert mentioned, neither Aperture nor Lightroom, Bridge or Photoshop are competitors in the DAM department. Whatever the marketing departments try to tell us, ATM none of those applications is a DAM app.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: off topic - seeking contact with the author Reply with quote

Hello Ian,

I assume this is you who has posted a reply to my comment in the ME-Community Forum where Anita Oakley asks all participants:

EXIF metadata - what would you like to see that we don't show now?

According to your reply I believe we have the same goal in mind. A semantically meaningful WEB-Gallery. Seems you're lightyears ahead of me. I am just about to begin to understand what the semantic WEB is and can be. I believe Images are the perfect object to describe in a semantically meaning full way.

Would you mind to contact me so we could exchange some ideas and tips?

Most imprtant for me is to obtain basic skills to built upon. I find it hard to decide on literature to read and products to use. You already provided some helpful hints, thanks.

So far I did quite a bit of experimenting but only little output in this topic.

Some output is on my WEB-Site from where you can gladly contact me.

Here are two URLs - the first point to an 'wordless' XML Gallery and the second one where I am using RDFa for the Creative Commons license.

http://www.halo-photographs.com/samedan-2008-xml/samedan08.xml

This Gallery is a fully automated output from iView by means of custom made templates.

http://www.halo-photographs.com/Engiadina-Classics-2008/source/img81991-cutout.html

As you can tell, I've got some long ways to go.

Hope to hear from you.

With kind regards, Hans.

iVMP v3.1.3 / PS CS2 / Windows XP Prof. / plenty of CPU power, RAM and Diskspace
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: