iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create clickable links from every keyword

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brooy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Create clickable links from every keyword Reply with quote

I am currently evaluating MediaPro 3, especially the HTML page output. Maybe I missed something but it seems that the output is an index page and individual picture pages, one set per catalog, right? I don't see pages based on individual picture data e.g. a page per City, or a page per Author etc. etc.

Most useful would be a page per keyword, which would make a poor man's searchable picture database (in fact with the results pre-made on static HTML pages).

I'm already running another solution based on XML which delivers most things I want (including if/else etc.!) but this is quite time consuming :-(

Any suggestion appreciated.

Hans
wave16

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Keywords to HTML links Reply with quote

Yes it would seem this would be an easy feature to add and would be great, apparently you can't do this curretnly.

Would you mind sharing how you are doing it with your XML solution?

I am currently exporting a "text table" which just lists the keywords ect in alphabetical order, so that at least people can "find their image numbers" which is kind of lame, but serves to help people find pics when you don't want to set up a whole database driven web site.
snah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Hans (brooy),

you're right, these are statc html pages for each image. It's easy to make a gallery looking good and also very customizable.

You are also right, that we do need search functions based on given data that comes with each image. This could be done by means of Java but then this would also be sort of static.

I like your approach to make existing data available by means of XML. iView and EM produce XML-data right out of the catalog. Combining it with XSLT and maybe some Java we are exactly on the path to the sematic web and images are perfect for the semantic web as they do need a lot of annotation and are not (yet) machine readable. We all know machines can only read and then display the image-data but they cannot interpret it. That is exactly where XML steps in so machines begin to 'understand' what is on display.

There are only a tiny handful of such Galleries around yet and I would be most curious where on the internet yours can be seen. I would appreciate if you would be so kind and provide that URL.

At least I can provide you one here: http://www.halo-photographs.com/samedan-2008-xml/samedan08.xml

It's derived from a work of Phil Guo (see credits bottom right of Gallery) and I still have a very steep learning curve till I get it to where I want it be with functionalities just as you described.

Another very interesting technology worth looking at is RDFa. Roughly explained it is a resource descriptin frame work where the code can be written directly into new or exisiting (x)HTML code. Some of my pages got this code for a) displaying the Creative Commons license, b) that is machine readbale and c) with the option to obtain binding legal information about a specifc work (picture or text).

iView or EM seem to be a good base as a DAM to store image information once and then use the resulting XML data for publishing or whatever. It would be great if these DAM packages would provide more than 16 cutom fields (at least I have used them up and could use many more).

As of now I have come a Gallery that made use of the iView XML export function and also iView nor EM provide templates for an XSLT needed.

So maybe you are a few steps further and would like to share your findings. I am highly interested in the development of this technique to be applied for images.

Best regards, Hans.

iVMP v3.1.3 / PS CS2 / Windows XP Prof. / plenty of CPU power, RAM and Diskspace
snah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm already running another solution based on XML which delivers most things I want (including if/else etc.!) but this is quite time consuming :-(

I am interested to learn about this other solution on XML.

Would you mind sharing that solution?

Thanks for reply.

Hans.

iVMP v3.1.3 / PS CS2 / Windows XP Prof. / plenty of CPU power, RAM and Diskspace
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: