iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exporting IPTC metadata

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jplaurel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Exporting IPTC metadata Reply with quote

Is there any special trick to exporting IPTC metadata? I have caption, author and some other IPTC information for my images, but when I export them using the "Convert Image Files..." option, and try viewing the exported files in a new iView catalog, or with Photoshop, all the caption information is missing. All my text in the caption field is replaced by the text: "AppleMark" followed by what looks like a box.

Thanks for any help with this,
--Jim Laurel
Seattle
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Exporting IPTC metadata Reply with quote

When I read your post I was surprised that iView wasn't exporting IPTC data into the new images -- or at least provide a checkbox option to do so. But it's true. (Time for another add feature submission.)

A kludgy work-around -- if the converted image format you want is still JPG -- is to export your pictures as an HTML gallery (choosing the quality and size of images you want). That does give you the option of including IPTC info in the new files. Then scavenge your converted images from the resulting 'image' folder.

Regards,
Jim
Alex H

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Neither does it preserve EXIF data! Reply with quote

I've exported photos from my 10D RAW file (which is annotated) to JPEG. And lo and behold, all the IPTC and EXIF data are gone! Even though I have checked the 'Preserve EXIF/GPS meta data' option. Mmm...
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... that was Jim Laurel's discovery at the top of this thread... IPTC data doesn't make it through that conversion. (Of course, technically the checkbox doesn't say it will -- it only refers to EXIF & GPS data. But IPTC headers should also be an option.) As for EXIF info, it is maintained for me in going from JPG original to JPG conversion. Media Pro has had past problems dealing with 10D RAW files and EXIF data showing up even in the main Info panel.... sounds like it's still got issues with that format. iView needs to take a look at the problems here in image conversion -- all such embedded data should be able to be preserved whenever possible. It'd be nice if members of the iView team started dropping in on their customer forum here and offering info or assistance on these issues. :?

Jim
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: