iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

categories, categories, categories

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: categories, categories, categories Reply with quote

I like having all the options to categorize my media (dates, events, people, keywords, user defined fields). It is almost overwhelming! I guess better to have too many options than not enough.

Anyways....I am taking on a project to scan and archive family photos and need some insight to organize them. Some obvious categories would be date of photo, event (wedding, birth), names of people in photo......but what other categories (keywords etc) should I consider? I guess I should be looking from the standpoint of what kind of extraction of photos would a family member want from the catalog?

I really want to plan this out before I start scanning/labeling so I don't have to go back and make changes when the lightbulb starts to light up LOL!

Any ideas for an organizational layout for this project?

thanks in advance,

Jeanine
pierre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Organizing pictures Reply with quote

Hello Jeanine,
So many things could be a subject of interest in a picture, either as main subject or as background ! The place where it has been taken, of course, but also the fact it is showing flowers, or a churches, or rivers, or favorite pets, or on the contrary funny unknown dogs or cats, sculptures, sun raise or down, birds. Just make a list of what is of interest for you, and group them into categories and sub catecories. I use :
People, subdivided into couple, family, friends, others
Animals, subdivided into my dogs, my cats, other pets, wild, birds, others
Plants, into trees, mushrooms, flowers, others
Landscapes, and so on
Buildings,
Miscellaneous objects, ...
I use a two letters code to include in the file name, so two characters already designate quite well the contents.
Have a good day.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keywording is really more art than science -- everyone has their own style, and it is influenced heavily by the content of the image collection. In my opinion it can also be common at the outset to 'over-keyword', resulting in a huge and unwieldy keyword list after even a few hundred pictures. I would advise erring on the side of less keywords at first. It's not too much work to click and drag to add keywords during the first few hundred pictures if necessary, and by then you will have honed your list pretty well.

You are right Jeanine -- consider what words people will actually search on. Keeping in mind that many people find it easier just to scroll through a narrowed down set than try to keep thinking of specific keywords that will hone in on a particular picture. In my collection just searching on Event and People often results in an easily scrollable small group. My additional keywords generally belong to one of three types: Subjects, Activities, and Moods. I brainstormed a little on paper ahead of time to get some idea of what keywords sort of made sense, and pick the best ones out of groups of related ones to start.

I hope this additional perspective is helpful. Good luck!

-- Jim
jeanine

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good input...Jim and Pierre.

One last question....

Do you use categories and what would be the main purpose/use? How do you see categories and keywords interacting? Would categories be a larger group? As in my project of family photos categories could be a time frame (ie. baby, child, teens, adult) and keywords being (ie birth, prom, milestone, house, vacations). Maybe someone would search for particular PERSON (or sirname), then category, then keyword if needed to narrow down?

I don't see any suggestions in manual for using each annotation so I am counting on your experience!

thank you for your time

Jeanine
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Categories Reply with quote

Good question. The following is just my opinion, and is probably different from what most do. There are many equally good philosophies on this I'm sure.

In theory I think Categories are intended to be the most general (broadly inclusive) level of keywords -- just as you were thinking. However, in practice they are just another keyword (as are Event and People)... but without a clear distinction in my view. So I don't use Categories in that manner at all -- those 'characteristics' are all thrown into keywords. That way I don't have to think up some rationale for why I would make one thing a category vs. a keyword. :wink:

The 'AND' function you mentioned works just as well with two keywords as it does with a keyword and a category. For instance you might narrow down with Person + keyword1 + keyword2. BTW, you use the Find... menu item to build an AND query. Clicking on multiple keywords, categories, people, or events always gives the OR group -- all images that match any one of those keywords.

I do use Categories however, and I use them in the way most might use Catalog Sets -- for ad hoc collections of images to be part of a slideshow or a web gallery. Why not just use Sets? My philosophy on that is explained in this thread: http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94

Cheers,
Jim
trustworthya1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding this topic and the replies to be very helpful as I am wrestling with the same issues myself. As a practical matter, when I want to find a specific image I generally use the date finder to narrow it down to specific year and then check people or keywords.

I had not thought of keywording moods and this is a wonderful idea I will adopt. I think a good photograph often leads the viewer to feel an emotion. This also will make me think whether the photo elicits ANY emotion or was just a failed effort or a record shot.

A lot of helpful people in this forum. I am glad iView created it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: