iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

web pages, templates, captions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrn8tural

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: web pages, templates, captions Reply with quote

Maybe just a comment, but I would like to make some web galleries with something more meaningful showing under the thumbnail than the file name, and some more customized info in the larger view.

Yes, I know that one can create their own templates. I've read the "about templates.html" file, but I'm not familiar with html coding. This is all way over my head. It sure would be nice if they could make this stuff simpler for those of us who don't have the expertise to run with those instructions. ....or perhaps simpler instructions, oriented towards the bozos among us might make this more accessible.

BTW what is BBCode, which can be enabled or disabled in these messages?
Tim Plumb
iView staff
iView staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBCode is phpBB's (the software that runs this forum) method of allowing posts to contain styling (bold, italic, links, lists etc.) without the need to insert any HTML.
The nine buttons under the 'Message body' section will allow you to insert these.
jeanine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same need as mrn8tural....anyone out there that can help guide us (or point us to someone who can) to add some comments/annotations to our web galleries?

thanks in advance!

Jeanine
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a good answer to your question, but maybe it will lead us somewhere that will help us all...

Unfortunately customizing iView's web templates requires some minimal level of comfortability with HTML -- and for many people even a basic HTML page can be pretty intimidating. But I suspect there are quite a few of us out here (like me) who have sufficient novice-level HTML understanding to do the kind of things I know you are asking about. We have customized the basic templates (using tools like BBEdit, Dreamweaver, etc.) to add in captions where we want them to display, and often removing other elements we didn't like.

So here's the thing... it isn't clear (at least to me) how best to just share those 'slightly modified' templates with you and others. And I'd be happy to share them. I suppose I'm reluctant to submit them to iView's template sharing section because they aren't really different or new templates -- just tweaked versions of what somebody else spent considerable time to make. (Feels like plagiarizing, y'know?)

Anybody out there have any good ideas here?

-- Jim
jimhere

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other forums with of this type often have a way to attach files (one could attach a .zip of template plus assets). But I don't see that here. Otherwise we could email or post these files... If you don't want the whole world downloading your stuff, give the link in PM below.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimhere wrote:
Other forums with of this type often have a way to attach files (one could attach a .zip of template plus assets). But I don't see that here.

Yes... having a way to attach files to these forum posts would be nice, eh? (Nice for sharing screen shots too!)

jimhere wrote:
Otherwise we could email or post these files....

I think people don't want to share their email addresses on forums like these -- too exposed for spammers to harvest. And post? Where to post is the question... Don't want to mix such stuff in with the new templates on iView's board I think.

jimhere wrote:
If you don't want the whole world downloading your stuff, give the link in PM below.

Providing such things for the whole world to access is the point. :-) And slightly modded templates for personal use are not a valuable asset needing protection. There are more users who would benefit than just the two or three asking questions and to whom one might PM. Plus you and others might have similar modded templates that would be of interest too... (I'm interested myself!) PM doesn't really scratch the group share itch. But it would work for isolated sharing, that's true.

I know you don't have all the answers jim -- wasn't meaning to pick on you with the above. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts! I guess there just isn't an optimal answer for now.

Regards,
Jim
jimhere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually through these forums I was able to send someone a .zip of a gallery yesterday. And the Fench version of this site seems to have downloadable gallery templates:
http://iview.free.fr/products/mediapro2/html_templates.html
(I guess I didn't realize that PM wasn't hooked up yet.)
jeanine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jimhere! That link is a great find! I might just figure out some basic HTML playing around with these templates :lol:

Jeanine

BTW this forum and participants have been very helpful....appreciate your time and willingness to share your knowledge :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimhere wrote:
Actually through these forums I was able to send someone a .zip of a gallery yesterday.

Could you share your technique of how to do that through the forum? Thanks!
jimhere

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. Since PM is not hooked up, I was contacted by other means (don't want to post my email), and was able to forward my .zip.
So heres the alternative:
http://homepage.mac.com/jimpogo/download/VerticalFrameClean.zip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimhere wrote:
... I was contacted by other means...

Oh... the way you phrased it before implied you somehow used this Forum to facilitate exchanging files -- or even just email contact info. That would be nice to do sometimes, so I was hopeful. Thanks anyway!

And thanks for sharing your custom template! That was unexpected, but nice! I tried it -- it looks really clean... kudos! For some reason though it didn't generate good results on my system (iView 2.0.3). The vertical frame never showed all of the pictures I had set for row x column -- just the first four of any index page, and always 2x2 with the right ones shaved off a little. Hmm.. (Not asking for support... just sharing my results to aid any troubleshooting you do.) :-)
jimhere

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set the thumbs to display 3 x 6 at (I think) 48 pixels each:
http://homepage.mac.com/jimpogo/pages/wedding_picts/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice!

Tip: If you set the iView Directives in your HTML to those values it will come up that way by default in the Make HTML dialog box. Then users won't have to guess what parameters you designed for...

<!-- iView HTML Engine Directives
iView:InThumbSize 48
iView:InThumbColumns 3
iView:InThumbRows 6
-->

Thanks again!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: