iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What filing system do you use when you bring files in?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trustworthya1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: What filing system do you use when you bring files in? Reply with quote

I am curious about the filing system people use before bringing images into iView.

I create a folder for the year and then a folder for each month. When I import images from a flash card I create a folder for the day (e.g., 20040420) and then a subfolder for RAW (I shoot CRW) and a subfolder for the final images (after they've been Photoshopped).

What do others do? I am wondering if I might be able to improve my system. I prefer not to have to go back and change it later.
pierre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: My way to name picture files Reply with quote

My steps before iView :
1) download from the digicam via Image Capture (Apple utility)
2) slideshow with Graphic Converter to trash the (many) unwanted photos and rotate the vertical ones
3) begin to name the remaining pictures with "A Better Finder Rename", which automatically batch-replaces the names attributed by the camera, with
- an eight digits number (YYMMDDSS) where SS stands for the daily sequence, so the picture is uniquely identified
- followed by a two letters code for the place the picts were taken : the broad area and a more precise localization
4) then I complete "by hand" the naming with :
- another two letters code : the broad subject and a precision about it. Of course, the codification of the four letters totally depends of the personal needs
- three or four free words explaining the picture
- sometimes, one last character is used to draw attention on a special aspect, like quality (+), or a doubtful identification (?), or anything else.

So, an excellent (+) picture taken April 20, 2003 (030420), being the 14th picture kept (14), taken along the River Ourthe (i) in the Rousseau Island (f), showing a couple (c) of birds (k) busy at feeding would appear as (Hyphen and comma are just for legibility purpose) :

03042014-if,kc-BlueTitsFeeding+

That way, if iView crashes my catalog, the Finder's name keeps the main informations I need for retrieval. I believe it is easier (and possibly safer) than using annotations embedded in the IPTC part of the file, and it works for any format.
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Filing structures Reply with quote

Hi David!

I’m glad you raised this topic, as in my opinion this is an important aspect of using a Digital Asset Manager (DAM) that, like iView Media, catalogs your images in place. A good hierarchical folder system affords you ways to navigate and work with your images without necessarily using the DAM. For instance, quickly sharing or copying a particular ‘roll’ of images, backing up parts of your image library to disk or CD, or if for some reason the DAM is unavailable or your Catalog is unusable.

There are as many ways to organize as there are people. It would be useful if others would also take time to share the ideas that work best for them, as we can all gain insights from each other. (I know I benefited from Pierre’s sharing above... thanks Pierre!) Of course, we all have different requirements -- from Professionals to recreational Point & Shooters -- so there is no ‘one-size fits all’. I’m actually in that second category, so my organization is built for thousands of pictures over time -- but not tens or hundreds of thousands...

On to it then...
I use a two-level hierarchy. Top level is by year, folders labeled YYYY. Second level is by Month and Event, folders labeled MM_Event. Images inside folders are labeled YY_Event_#, with # being an incrementing number.

- For me this system is a balance between easily finding which folder an image belongs to, keeping filenames short but meaningful, and not having a deep folder hierarchy to dig through.
- ‘Event’ is the basic level of grouping for my images. It is not necessarily an actual event per se, but rather generally the topic, theme, or relation that the images in that roll or set have to each other. In some ways I use Event like iPhoto uses Roll... but Event is more user-friendly for me. (Examples: ‘SusansWedding’, ‘Pats18thBday’, ‘Birds-at-ForestPark’, ‘GregsNewDesk’, ‘AlexAndEmma’)
- The contents of my Event annotation inside iView is “YYYY Event’ matching what I use on the folders/filenames. Event and date form the basic linkage between folder/files and my iView Catalog. Prefixing with YYYY aids sorting and uniqueness. (Exception: For many odds and ends photos that don’t belong to a big set I just place in a folder named ‘General’ under YYYY. And use the Event ‘YYYY --General--‘ to annotate. This is a balance to limit excessive # of Event annotations. I still make the filename ‘Event’ itself a meaningful phrase.)
- I try to keep filenames under 20-25 characters, but use no special characters other than dash and underscore. (That means no spaces either.) The filesystems I use (Mac, Windows, Unix/Linux) all handle longer filenames just fine, so I don’t feel compelled to code down to 8 characters. But many Unix systems don’t like special characters... and that’s often where my webspace is located. Having filenames with more meaningful (less coded) names also makes it easier on friends and relatives who I share images with via email or web. (Filename examples: 04_SnowboardingHood_13, 03_SusansWedding_112)

That’s basically it. I’d love to hear other’s good ideas as well!

Cheers,
Jim

P.S. Oh, yeah -- my typical workflow is:
1) Download images to disk (into a NewPhotos folder)
2) Import them to iView catalog
3) Cull/Delete poor photos, add basic annotations (credits, location, event), make event date from capture date, and Synchronize.
4) Batch Rename with a chosen ‘Event’ and use iView or Finder to move into a newly created folder in my Pictures library.
5) Later... title, keywords, captions, ratings... and image post-processing/editing. Then Synchronize again.
6) Backup iView Catalog regularly. And archive newer images to CD when I remember to do it. :-)
trustworthya1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful, Jim. Thanks for your post. In addition to what I described above when I create a date folder, if most of the pictures relate to a specific event I put them in a subfolder with the name of the event and then batch rename as follows:

YYYYMMDD_EVENT_01_extension

I really want to be able to find an image even in my iView catalogue is lost for any reason.

I hope others will contribute.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: