iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't get any files to open/transfer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bethfitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Can't get any files to open/transfer Reply with quote

i am brand new to iview mediapro and am having terrible start-up trouble. support email and documentaion has not been helpful. BIG QUESTION: Nothing i try and open from disc will work. these are all valid tif and jpeg files. i went to import options and that was no help beacuse all media options appear to be checked, w/ a quicktime icon. help! have had the software for over a week and am STUCK. maybe in my settings but i just can't figutr it out? these same files will open in iphoto. the few files that initially did open, the "files" can't be found when i try and open them further, only the thumbnail shows. HELP!
jimhere

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you dragged a disc to an iView window and nothing appeared there?
bethfitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Can't Get Files to Open/Transfer Reply with quote

no, i go to file/import/then i have choices from where and i go to the disc i have put in. the files are all shaded so unopenable. also in iview mediapro, are the files only openable in editing capability when the correct dic is inserted?

thanks! beth
Jim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't Get Files to Open/Transfer Reply with quote

bethfitzgerald wrote:
... in iview mediapro, are the files only openable in editing capability when the correct dic is inserted?

Yes, you are able to view the full-size media only when that file is available to the computer (meaning the disc is inserted). And if by disc you mean CD-ROM, or other 'read-only' version, then you don't have editing capability even then in terms of the image editor or synchronize. You can work with such images read-only, such as making HTML galleries or Copy to Folder.

The reason iPhoto works is because when it imports it actually makes it's own copy that it stores in it's own directory right on your hard disk. So it is no longer working with the copy on CD, or even aware of it anymore. iView just catalogs the image wherever it already is. (Tip: in iView the status bar directly above the thumbnails will show you the location of any image you select.)

You can *always* work with the thumbnails, as those are stored in the Catalog. So editing annotations and sets can be done anytime. (Tip: Since thumbnails are all you've got if the original image is away on a CD somewhere, it can be useful to rebuild your thumbnails to a nice big size like 160 or better (done while the image disc is inserted.))

Hope this info helps reduce your confusion.
-- Jim
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: