iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BETA 3 BUG REPORT

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: BETA 3 BUG REPORT Reply with quote

1) CAUTION :
When you rename a user defined annotation, all the entries created under the initial name disappear !
Or is this again a residue of the corruption which infects my catalog ?
No : I just tried with a brand new empty catalog and I confirm : all entries are gone without any warning message :-(

By the way, talking about annotations, I wonder if the <?> which now appears in the Catalog Index is not intended to be just an invitation to create a first User Defined annotation, and not the indication of something missing. With all the troubles I faced, one can understand that I am a bit anxious ;-)

2) CAUTION :
When a thumbnail is selected and you hit the backspace key to remove it only from the current set, the warning message which (happily !) appears says it will be removed from the entire catalog. So, how to keep deleting just from the set ?

How tough is life.
vseh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pierre
It took some trying but I was finally able to get a ? into the catalog index at the area of a user defined field. To do this I
1. went to Edit:User defined field
2. Made a new field eg xyz. Click Add. Click OK.
3.this now appears in the Category index provided you have selected it in the drop down menu to the right of the "catalog index" header
4. Now go back to Edit:User defined field
5. Select xyz. Click Erase. Click OK
Now look at the Catalog Index again
6. You will now have a ? in the area where previously xyz had existed

The ? indicates the previous existence of a user defined annotation field.

Make a new field as in steps 1 to 3

the ? disappears and the new field is in its place

the behaviour is normal and doesn't indicate corruption in your catalog.

In regard to your second question - this too is normal
the use of the backspace/delete key in any selection will remove that item from the catalog provided you agree to it after the warning box is dispayed
the use of cmd-delete will remove the item and send the original file to the trash

to delete an item from a Set do the following
1. click on the desired set in Catalog index
2. Next to the number which gives the number of items in the set there is a small down arrow. Click on this.
3. You now should see a drop down menu
4. the last entry should read "Remove selected items....."
5. Click on this
6. Agree to remove the items that have been initially selected (oops -select items you wish to delete after initially clicking on the desired set at step 1)
7. Et voila!

the items are deleted from the set but not from the catalog

Phew!!

Let us all know how this does.
pierre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: UNBELIEVABLE ! Reply with quote

Thank you vseh for finding how to remove a thumbnail from just the current set. But gee why did "they" change the way to do it ?

1) the fastest command should be allocated to the most frequent command, and I am sure one does delete more often an image from a set than from the entire catalog. So the way it did work with 2.0.3 was the good choice, and now the operation will become a pain.
2) changing such an important keyboard shortcut is dangerous because of the habit taken, and is just a sure way to lead to catastrophies, for a software without an Undo command.

How can they make such a stupid choice ? When will those people ask and listen to the users ? Communication is definitely not a word from their vocabulary.
vseh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pierre

You’re absolutely right. This just goes to show that I don’t use sets but rather rely on annotations such as keywords.

Do remember that 2.5 b3 is a beta version and, therefore, comes “as is” without an instruction manual. There will, of course, be differences in behaviour compared to previous versions.

In this instance there is no right or wrong way to delete items from sets. Rather the procedure is different between the two versions.

Personally, I like to see uniform behaviour and would have expected that the use of the delete key in any view would delete that item from the catalog. Without pre-empting I would guess that was the programmer’s intention in 2.5 b3. Of course, if you don’t like this particular change then send feedback to the programmers. This will typically not generate a reply but at least you will have your input into how the system works.

Whilst you have expected delete key to remove the item from the set I have expected the delete key to remove the item from the catalog because that's what I do most often. I haven't any idea as to what the majority of users expect however.

The new setting is not too painful, its just a mouse move and two clicks really very similar to doing an annotation entry.

Pierre - the software does have an undo command and that is Edit:Revert. If you delete a file and realize you've made an error go to this command immediately and the catalog will be restored to its last saved state. This means of course you must save your work often and appropriately. I Command-S after almost every task once I am happy with it

Finally, has the ? problem been solved for you? Has the previous “worm” now disappeared in 2.0.3 when opening up new catalogues?
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: BETA 3 BUG REPORT Reply with quote

pierre wrote:
When a thumbnail is selected and you hit the backspace key to remove it only from the current set, the warning message which (happily !) appears says it will be removed from the entire catalog. So, how to keep deleting just from the set ?

Hi Pierre!

In addition to the method Shawn outlined I have also found that using the menu command Edit>Clear will give the old choice of deleting from a Set or Removing from the Catalog.

I agree with your sentiments on this, in terms of what should be the default behavior. Perhaps it depends on whether you are a 'multiple catalog' person or a 'one big catalog' person which default works best for deleting. Being more of a 'one big catalog' person myself, I would prefer default behavior for the backspace/delete key to be remove from set, not from catalog, as when I remove from Catalog I almost always want 'Move to Trash', and so I use the little trash can button, or 'command-delete'. Speaking of that, it would be helpful if they would just add modifier keystrokes for all choices here -- maybe 'option-delete' for remove from set? As with all these ideas, I'll submit to the "User Suggestions" account (as Shawn also suggests) and hope that enough others feel similarly to get this delete key behavior revisited... :-)

Jim
pierre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: DIRTY ANNOTATION SEEMS GONE AWAY Reply with quote

Hi Shawn,

About the <?>, you're right, it is the sign of a previous user definition which has been removed.

I'm glad you found the new way to delete a thumbnail from just the opened set. The suggestion of Jim to combine backspace key and modifiers keys seems the good solution to me.

As regards the "Revert" command, I wouldn't consider it as an "Undo", but just as a way to simulate the closing of the catalog without saving, with the loss of all the actions made since the last save. Making frequent saves is good practice, but could also record a wrong manipulation. Having the opportunity to cancel the last action at the moment we realize we goofed not only allows not to lose the previous actions, but above all, allows to make sure that all the effects of the wrong action are well cancelled. Because, for instance, we are not always sure of which thumbnails were selected at the time we wrongly hit the backspace key.

Finally, using 2.5b3, it seems that the corrupted annotation name I had in 2.0.3 is gone. How ? I don't really know. The fact is that, re-opening the catalog with 2.0.3, the <?> had disappear, but the rotten annotation name also. I cross then my fingers, and will keep using 2.0.3 until 2.5 is released.

Best regards, and thank you for your precious contributions to this forum.
Pierre
vseh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pierre
Good to hear things are better.
I agree fully with your undo suggestion. Have you sent it to "feedback"?
Revert takes you back to the last SAVE and any work entered after that time is lost. That's why I save often. Any manual "undo" will take only 30 seconds or so.
In the distant past I have had "unexpected quits" and lost a lot of work.
Experience is a great but painful teacher.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: