iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving my folder structure to iView

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fasteddie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Moving my folder structure to iView Reply with quote

I am a dentist and I take a bunch of clinical photos for teaching/lectures. Ever since moving from PC to the mac, I have turned off iPhoto's automatic import and have continued to just move photos into my particular folder structure in Finder. I don't want to use iPhoto because it duplicates my photos into its library, thereby taking up hard drive space. iView was recommended and I got the trial for now. My question is: what is the easiest way to move this custom folder structure into iView? Do I just drag the folders into the "Catalog Folders" pane on the left hand side or do I need to drag the folders into the main thumbnail pane and then reorganize into the catalog folders? The traditional ways of organizing don't work for me because each file folder is essentially a "patient" who I will be seeing at different times, taking follow-up photos, so traditional date-based formulas don't work for me. Any help is very welcome. Thank you!
peter long

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: play with it Reply with quote

i'd just do a trial run and throw the top level folder into the right hand window, or do "menu import folders". Iview imports but doesn't change your structure.

Depending on # of files... 100s, 1000s? the slow part is processing the import, building thumbnails to the size you need.

Don't fight the process. Go do something else till the processing icon says its done.

peter
jimhere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drag the folder from your camera disk to the open main pane of an iView file. While I don't have many teeth photos, I do sort by year. On my hard drive, I have folders for decades from 1900 to 2000, then a folder for each recent individual year (yours would be patients). After the pictures are registered in the catalog, I "Move To Folder" the recent acquisitions to the desired hard drive folder. "Move To Folder" is an option when you control-click a group of images. These destination folders are then, um, noticed by iView. Then I can do a seach for "1940", or in your case "Johnny Doe" without having to rename all the picture files to be "Johnny Doe 1".
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving my folder structure to iView Reply with quote

fasteddie wrote:
...have continued to just move photos into my particular folder structure in Finder. ... My question is: what is the easiest way to move this custom folder structure into iView?

(a) Use File>Import Items>From Files/Folders... or (b) Drag & Drop your folder structure into the main thumbnails view (as you were thinking). Before importing, consider setting Preferences>Media to let MediaPro build it's own thumbnails, and setting them in the main thumbnail window to be larger size like 160 (use 'plus' icon in upper right corner). IMHO such nice big thumbnails are real eye candy -- nice to work with. ;-)

fasteddie wrote:
Do I just drag the folders into the "Catalog Folders" pane on the left hand side or do I need to drag the folders into the main thumbnail pane and then reorganize into the catalog folders?

The organization you see in the Folders pane (Catalog Folders) is created there automatically, displaying where all cataloged images are located. Which it sounds like is just what you want to end up with! Just work with your images mostly from the Folders pane and they will appear in the thumbnails window in the groupings you prefer...

Good Luck!
Jim
fasteddiesa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the guidance. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ed
fasteddiesa

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to Peter and jim and jim - everything worked like a charm. this program is the solution to my problems with iPhoto. Very cool. Thanks again.

Ed
Thomas Geist

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your physical folder structure is of some importance to you further on and you do not want to click through the folders and subfolders all the time, it may be a good idea to use Catalog Sets to group your files similar to your true folder structure, but not as deep.

You can then easily locate groups of sets.

Thomas
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: