iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing metadata from other photo cataloging programs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glewbel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Importing metadata from other photo cataloging programs Reply with quote

Here's a newbie (pre-purchase) question. I would appreciate suggestions from any of you experienced iView users. I have 6000 images that are already "tagged" with descriptions (AKA captions) in iMatch, a Windows photo cataloging program. These descriptions are not in IPTC or EXIF fields.

I am thinking of moving onto the Mac platform and am considering using iView there, but I don't want to have to retype all these descriptions.

It is no problem for iMatch to export these descriptions in a text (.txt) file. My images all have sequential file names (e.g. 001.jpg, 002.jpg, etc.) and each line in the exported text file corresponds to one image.

So... is there a simple way without having to write code or script for iView that will import my images AND the descriptions of each, then apply each description to the right image in iView?

It would also be excellent if iView could also import and applyall the categories I have assigned each of these images in iMatch, of course, but this is less critical than applying all the typed descriptions.

If importing the descriptions into iView cannot be done somehow, it's a show-stopper for me--it's taken hundreds of hours to add descriptions to each of my images--so I would really appreciate any suggestions from happy iView users.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!
hypergene

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Solution: AppleScript - Import captions from text lines Reply with quote

Dear newbie -

In the AppleScript > Annotate menu there is a script called "Make Caption from Text Lines...." This will take each line of the text file and insert it into the IPTC Caption field in iView.

The script does not have any check sum for filename verification. But if you use the same 6000 files (in their proper order) this shouldn't matter. For the sake of verification, post import into iView, you might consider adding the filename to the end/beginnning of your descriptions. So that when they come into the caption field, you are able to verfiy that 0001.jpg description is in the 0001.jpg caption field. My suggestion is to export a tab or delimited file, so that each line of the text file is....

0001.jpg, This is the description text here...
0002.jpg, This is the description text here....
etc.

There is a similar AppleScript called "Make Caption from Text Files...." which will take separate text files and use them as the source for the IPTC Caption.

After you've got the captions with the proper files, use Action > Sync Annotations to write (embed) the IPTC annotation information into the images files so that you will not have to do this again in the future. :-)

For Categories in iMatch, which appear to be like MediaPro's hierarchical Catalog Sets feature, you probably will have to write an AppleScript to parse that out of a text file. You might want to check the AppleScript topic area of the forums.
http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: