iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice to all Beta software users who are novices

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Advice to all Beta software users who are novices Reply with quote

The following is only my personal opinion, but I wouldn’t post it if I didn’t think it had value. (iView staff -- if you disagree with the statements I am making, feel free to shoot me down.)

I strongly encourage new or inexperienced users to not use iView’s beta software for your projects. I have noticed an increase in users who appear to be doing just that.

• Beta software is by definition unfinished... and is often buggy. It is typically provided for experienced users to exercise/stress and then report bugs and usability issues back to the software house.

• Using beta software is *at your own risk*. If it trashes your Catalog file or does other harm, you are expected to submit bug reports. But you have waived your right to complain about those unwanted results. This is an accepted risk of using beta software.

• Only use shipping software for your important work. Experienced beta testers exercise beta software only on copies of their stuff. This is because the intent is to try and stress the software, and discover the bugs...

• If in Q & A on this board you are referring to the beta software, please explicitly identify that. If you are asking for assistance on a particular aspect of iView’s software it is assumed that you are using a shipping version (iView Media v1.3, iView MediaPro v2.0x), for which all the documentation, tutorials, and plug-ins have been written.

I’m not trying to come down on anybody here... Obviously everybody can do what they want. It just seems to me some forget (or don’t know) that the beta software is not iView’s shipping/supported product, and it is provided largely for the experienced user base to test and provide feedback.

Respectfully yours,
Jim
Daniro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

I agree all you wrote.
I append just this:
I bring to your mind that the forum is ONLY intended for discussions between users.
The iView team is very occupied and don't watch regularly the forum.

The bugs of regular applications must be notified to mailto:support@iview-multimedia.com
The bugs of beta applications must be notified to mailto:beta@iview-multimedia.com

Daniel
French translator for iView
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: