iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inconsistent Imports of PDFs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhbwell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Inconsistent Imports of PDFs Reply with quote

Mac OS 10.3.8
IVPro 2.6.3

I have 100's of scans of paper documents saved as PDFs. The PDFs are created by Canon's CanoScan software on a LiDE 30 scanner.

After importing them into IVPro, most thumbnails and previews are normal. But several are blank... all white. I don't mean that I get a generic icon. I mean absolutely no document image. I get a 640x640 rectangle of pure white.

I haven't been able to determine any difference between the files that have good thumbnails/previews and those that don't. Both have the same file type and creator... PDF & CARO. Both open normally in Acrobat. Both display normal previews in Mac finder.

Re-saving using "save as..." does no good. Re-saving by reducing file size does no good. Updating the thumbnail does no good. Updating the folder does no good.

The bad imports are both PDF v1.4 and 1.5, single and multi-page, grayscale and color.

The only commonality I can find is that the blank thumbs/previews only occur among PDFs created on or before 6/13/2004.

Since Apple's Preview app and Acrobat v6 & 7 open the files normally, and since the Mac finder preview is normal, I can only guess it is a bug in IVPro.

Has anyone else had this problem. What's the solution?

And one final oddity. I notice that all the 8.5x11x300dpi PDFs have a preview of 612x792 pixels. That's the full size preview, even though the document is larger. Any ideas why that is?

Thanks,
Doug
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: No definitive answer, but a guess... Reply with quote

Given that you are getting a smaller-than fullsize preview, I wonder if iVMP is only looking at the "preview" data in the PDF rather than rendering the PDF vector data.

What happens if you open these PDFs in Illustrator and resave them using Save As...? Are the new versions viewable by iVMP? It is likely that Acrobat's "Save As" just writes the data out verbatim but Illustrator's "Save As" may regenerate the PDF from the data structures it created when it read the original file, and this may make a difference.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...

I tried saving as in Illustrator, but makes no difference. I'm guessing because all the PDF docs are bit mapped images. They're scans of receipts, invoices, letters, etc. There's no original vector data in that case, is there?
dhbwell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd... guess this forum let's you post as a guest if you forget to login. Any, previous post was from me.

Doug
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll bite. Why are you using PDF format to save bitmap data? There are lots of excellent bitmap formats out there (TIFF being IMHO the best one for good non-lossy conversion), and PDF was designed primarily for vector data.

If you don't have a compelling reason to be using PDF you may want to set up Photoshop with a batch job converting all those PDF files to TIFF (use LZW compression... I seem to recall reading somewhere that iView does not support ZIP compression in TIFF files). Go for coffee while it works and when you come back you can import the TIFFs into iView. I realize that this does not answer the question of "why don't these PSD files work in iView?" but it does address the problem and let you get on with your work.

- Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a long sad story of the failure of the computer industry to provide robust tools for superior, yet non-monopoly platforms. Some of the highlights:

- The overriding criteria for me when scanning documents and receipts is using a scanner that doesn't perform an annoying and tme consuming calibration cycle before each scan. I used to use a Visoneer Paperport scanner that's a small fast, sheet-fed scanner. The company stopped supporting Mac, and in any case you get locked into their proprietary file format which no other app can read. A really loathsome little company.

- On the Mac, the only scanner I know of without calibration cycles is the Canon LiDE series.

- The Canon software only performs quick, easy, multi-page scans if the output is set to PDF. Otherwise, one has to go into the actual scan driver software and it takes more time. Not suited to quickly scanning a dozen documents and getting on with one's life.

- PDFs can be easily annotated and commented if needed, and those comments are searchable in Acrobat. Not so with TIFF files.

- It's easier to work with hundreds of Acrobat files than it is with hundreds of TIFF files... except of course for this little snafu in IVMP.

And that's my long, sad story.

:-)
Doug
tray58

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Need help Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Mike.

Dude, you need help - Pronto! hehehe :lol::lol:
drumsticks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Inconsistent Imports of PDFs Reply with quote

dhbwell wrote:
And one final oddity. I notice that all the 8.5x11x300dpi PDFs have a preview of 612x792 pixels. That's the full size preview, even though the document is larger. Any ideas why that is?

I've been using iVMP for a while now for cataloging images and have only just started using it for PDFs. I find the same problem as well. All my PDFs have been pre-rendered to exactly that dimension.

Is there no way to view PDF documents as vector documents that they are?

Mac OS X 10.4.7
iVMP 3.1.1 (Build 42B8)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: