iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MetaSync 1.2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> AppleScript
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smackie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: MetaSync 1.2 Reply with quote

I've just updated the tool I use for synchronizing iView MediaPro catalogs and posted it on the web. There's a couple of minor tweaks and some changes to the Applescript to stop using depreciated classes. You can get hold of MetaSync at

http://www.smackie.org/Software

I've also cleaned up and posted the source for it. I've had folks ask me for this a few times so I thought I'd polish it up, add comments and put it out there. It's an Applescript Studio application so you'll need Xcode to build it. However, it does demonstrate a few useful techniques - building popups dynamically and dealing with the user interface syntax when you add UI constructs like boxes. You can download the source from the same page.

I'll probably post some additional tools in the next few weeks that I use that other folks might find useful. The main one is another Applescript Studio app that I use to build image directories for importing into JAlbum. I use JAlbum to build the galleries at smackie.org - the AS app that I wrote drives most of the backend of the generation of the image heirarchy for input to JAlbum. If there's interest in this, let me know. JAlbum is a little geeky to configure but the results are better than pretty much anything else I've tried for this.

Cheers

Scott...
msbc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

I would be very interested in the JAlbum app. I use JAlbum for my photo site - great tool.

Thanks,
Mark
smackie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msbc wrote:
Scott,
I would be very interested in the JAlbum app. I use JAlbum for my photo site - great tool.

Mark,

Okay - I'll look at tidying it up a bit, fixing some generality and adding some documentation.

Scott...
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: AppleScript Error Reply with quote

I'm getting an error about the variable SourceName is not defined (-2753). What does that mean? What should I do differently? Could it have something to do with iVMP 3.0?

Last edited by Evan on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smackie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: AppleScript Error Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
Could it have something to do with iVMP 3.0?

Yup - I haven't tested MetaSync with 3.0 yet but it looks like there's a problem. I'll dig into it...

Scott...
Evan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: MetaSync Reply with quote

Ok, I tried again by starting fresh with new files and I don't have that error. :oops: But really, there is something wrong. This time MetaSync seems to work but it doesn't work how i want it to work.

I want it to ADD keywords from the RAW to the JPEG. What it is doing is taking only 1 keyword from the RAW file and copying over any previous keywords in the JPEG. That is losing data and that is no good.
    I want it to copy my labels over (red). But the labels do not move.
    I want it to copy my Stars over...but the stars to not move.
    I am glad the caption copied over. That is good.
    I have not tested more functions that I want to move between catalogs.

Another question: what does "Copy User Defined Fields" refer to exactly?

Here's a screen shot of what it looks like on my computer after I run MetaSync.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
smackie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MetaSync Reply with quote

Evan wrote:
I want it to ADD keywords from the RAW to the JPEG. What it is doing is taking only 1 keyword from the RAW file and copying over any previous keywords in the JPEG. That is losing data and that is no good.

Ah. Then, as you've realized, what you're trying to get MetaSync to do ain't what it was intended to do. :?

It's really meant to be used to copy changes across wholesale between catalogs and assumes that there isn't anything you want to keep on the destination side. Adding what you want is feasible but would take a bit of work. I'm open to doing this for a 2.0 release if there's general interest.

Quote:
I want it to copy my labels over (red). But the labels do not move.

I don't copy these by default but this would be simple to add.

Quote:
I want it to copy my Stars over...but the stars to not move.

This is a new feature in 3.0 but iView haven't added the "ratings" support to the Applescript dictionary yet. :cry: I've mentioned this to Phil already but I'll add support for it when the Application supports it.

Quote:
I am glad the caption copied over. That is good.

Well, it would have copied over *all* the metadata that it could from the original image (for example, all the IPTC fields).

Quote:
Another question: what does "Copy User Defined Fields" refer to exactly?

This is the Custom Field support where you can add your own fields to be managed. The code will copy them between catalogs if the source and destination catalogs have the same defined fields.

Hope this helps

Scott...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> AppleScript All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: