iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to new computer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeanine

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Moving to new computer Reply with quote

I have upgraded to a new computer (PowerMacG5 with OS 10.4) and want to move my iView catalogs, images, and the image links from my old computer to my new computer. How do I do this? I don't want to lose my many hours of categorizing in the move. I can keep some of the file structure but probably not the highest level. Has anyone successfully moved from one computer to another?

thank you,

Jeanine
manack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: moving to new hard drive Reply with quote

I have had trouble doing this...twice. I have cloned my files and iview databases and user library folder onto my new computer using either Apple's migration assistant or the ditto -V -rsrc command. My database opens fine and i can see thumbnails, but almost all my images cannot be viewed or opened. Each image name is colored red and their is a "unknown error [-1407] message for most of the images in my library. Almost all of these images are tiffs that have been created by Leica Confocal Software (microscope software for PC) and imported onto my mac where they are either edited and saved or left unedited.

The odd thing is that some files are still linked and can open just fine. These are typically .psd and jpgs in my libary. So migration to a new computer/hard drive is killing the links for these tiffs and killing me since i have significant ivmp2 specific organization.

ibookG4/1.25GB/OS 10.4.2 /ivmp 2.6.4
focus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you guys looked into the Reset Folder Paths and Reset Paths features? If you haven't changed most of the folder hierarchy during the move, you just point Reset Folder Paths to the highest folder that didn't change and it should pick it all up. The problem is that you'll need to do this for each catalog. Reset Paths works too, but Reset Folder Paths is much faster.

Red paths mean iView hasn't been linked up to the new folder locations yet.
manack

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i've tried reset folder paths on individual folders, i've tried reset paths after selecting either a folder or all files in a folder, and tried find missing items. Missing items recognizes the tiffs as missing but does not fix it with it's search command either. My directory hierachy is the same on the new drive.
manack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Moving to new computer Reply with quote

You'll be able to move your database to a new drive, but if your original images have long filenames you'll have major headaches. Check this thread for more info: http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7992&highlight=#7992
MacN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Long Filenames Reply with quote

I checked out 3 to see if this problem had been overcome. It hasn't. I note that in the new manual in the section on renaming (on page 78 in last week's version of the manual), iView says:

"For maximum compatibility across Windows, Macintosh, and Unix networks and platforms: Limit filename length to 31 characters."

They don't say, however, that if you only ever use one OS and remain faithful to iView, but need to move the data to another drive, you will nonetheless have to manually relink each file longer than 31 characters. Hard disks never break, and nobody ever gets a new computer in the iView world!

They should state clearly in big type on page one of the manual that before creating any catalogs, you should rename all files to less than 31 characters.

In fact, they should build in a FileWrangler style utility, and should not allow longer filenames to be entered through iView at all!

The software I mentioned on my post in the linked thread still seems good to me.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/16436

If you have already made the catalogs, then I suggest renaming the files with this software first and then linking the missing files manually. Then you can move the folders again freely.

Another possibility if you have the folders on the original drive, would be to open File Wrangler and iView on the same screen, use File Wrangler to find the long filenames, but shorten names inside iView. Then the manual relinking step is avoided. Once renamed, you can move them where you like.
manack

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Long filenames Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint on using FileWrangler. I may have to change my naming scheme and use that in the future. But for now, my slower soln for moving to new drives and also maintain my catalog with ivmp2 specific organization is to make a new catalog and remiport all the data. Then I open the corrupt catalog and use some applescripting to remake my contaniners and sets with organization intact in the new catalog. (scripts by Peter Long; see this thread http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1181) I haven't used keywords or annotations to organize my images, but I believe either these scripts or others I've seen have ways of maintaining that sort of organization too.

Thanks for the heads up on ivmp3. Looks like there's no reason to spend my money on it since iView hasn't changed the one thing I'd like to see fixed. I emailed iView support asking about this issue being resolved in ivmp3 since I have "only till November 30" to take advantage of my special upgrade price. Looks like I'll pass on this new version.
MacN

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Long Filenames & New Drives Reply with quote

I just tried (with specially copied test files, not originals) something I'd not tried before. I used Backup (in 3) to copy the catalog (with several nested folders holding the original files) to a different partition, and checked 'Reset Paths' and 'Keep Folder Structure'. The iView manual particularly mentions 'removable media', but also says it treats partitions and external drives in the same way. I just assumed it would be the same as as moving the folders by dragging and dropping and then using 'Reset Folder' - well, why wouldn't it be? - which is why I'd never done it before.

Amazingly, however, this procedure kept the links to my long filenames, both in the original catalog, and in the new catalog I asked Backup to make on the partition!! I haven't tried an external drive yet, but it should be the same as a partition.

It's strange, because if this works then it suggests iView could fix the program to keep long filename links when moving the folder by dragging and dropping, and to include long filenames when using reset paths and folders. I thought perhaps the problem was a Unix thing, but it can't be.

So maybe this is a workaround if shortening the filenames is really impossible, or can't be done in the time available. Backup and delete the originals. I'd need to try with bigger catalogs before I'd have confidence, but it's a start.

Give it a try, and see if it works in 2.6 also.
Fuse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh, I've discovered this problem too late!

I had to move my catalog and photos to another drive and now I'm having all kinds of problems. My catalogue (iV 3.0.1 Mac) has about 25,000 items. "Reset paths" only partially worked. I have about 8,000 files with long filenames that iView can not "find". I've tried resetting paths for the entire catalogue and for specific folders, but neither works. "Reset paths" works for individual photos, but I'm hardly about to do this for 8,000 files.

Renaming all my files with short names is not an option.

This is VERY frustrating!
Fuse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a little more investigating now. Not all of my "missing" photos have long names. Some have short names less than 25 characters. Many photos have long names (30 or more characters), but iView locates them just fine.

I've tried resetting the file path one at a time on a few photos, which appeared to work. However, when I update the catalogue, iView reimports those photos as if they were new.

All of my photos are jpegs.

Any ideas what is going on here?
DRT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say, but even 3.0.1. which seemed to fix most of the bugs seems simply unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

iView is a great and unparalleled program to organise and sort images. Until you need to move files, or copy them somewhere, or simply open them in another program. Bang, 25% gone astray.
MacN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuse wrote:
Argh, I've discovered this problem too late!

I had to move my catalog and photos to another drive and now I'm having all kinds of problems. My catalogue (iV 3.0.1 Mac) has about 25,000 items. "Reset paths" only partially worked. I have about 8,000 files with long filenames that iView can not "find". I've tried resetting paths for the entire catalogue and for specific folders, but neither works. "Reset paths" works for individual photos, but I'm hardly about to do this for 8,000 files.

Renaming all my files with short names is not an option.

This is VERY frustrating!

Have you tried the Backup method I outlined in the post immediately above yours. I just tried it again on an external drive with a few hundred photos, and it worked fine, sixty character filenames and all.

If you still have the original files and catalog on the original drive(s), then get rid of the copies on the new drive, and select Backup/CD-ROM (from the Make menu). Select 'backup all files', 'reset paths' and 'include catalog'.

If you don't have the files on the original drive, then copy the files back to the original drive and use your original catalog - preferably a previous version you have saved; if not, copy back your copy.

(I don't see why this process wouldn't work by backing up to DVD and then from the DVD to a drive, if the catalog is small enough.)
Fuse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacN wrote:
If you don't have the files on the original drive, then copy the files back to the original drive and use your original catalog - preferably a previous version you have saved; if not, copy back your copy.

The new drive I moved everything to has the same name and identical directory structure as the old drive (the only difference is that the new drive is larger). I shouldn't have to reimport the files from my archives nothing has changed. I guess it's worth a shot, but still very time consuming and frustrating.
MacN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Filenames & New Drives Reply with quote

Well, I can't promise it, as I haven't tried it with a really large catalog, but as the quote from my earlier post says, dragging and dropping didn't work, and backup did work on my test files. I guess it's something to do with hidden files - what looks the same to you or me looks different to the computer.

MacN wrote:
I just assumed it would be the same as as moving the folders by dragging and dropping and then using 'Reset Folder' - well, why wouldn't it be? - which is why I'd never done it before.

Amazingly, however, this procedure kept the links to my long filenames, both in the original catalog, and in the new catalog I asked Backup to make on the partition!

It's true that it's a nuisance, but it takes no longer than dragging and dropping did in the first place.
MacN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Backup, not re-importing Reply with quote

Just a clarification:

Fuse wrote:
MacN wrote:

The new drive I moved everything to has the same name and identical directory structure as the old drive (the only difference is that the new drive is larger). I shouldn't have to reimport the files from my archives nothing has changed. I guess it's worth a shot, but still very time consuming and frustrating.

I meant copy the files back from the new drive, not from any archives. There's no re-importing involved. I am assuming that you dragged and dropped the catalog and the photos to the new drive to copy them. If you don't have all the original photos and the original catalog on the original drive, then drag and drop the photos and catalog back to where they originally were. Links that you reset with 'Reset Folder Paths' may now be broken, and you should fix them. One you are back to where you started, then use 'Backup'. If you do have all the original photos and the original catalog on the original drive, then just use 'Backup' to the new drive. You don't have to worry about the directory structure.
Fuse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaS wrote:
Why can't you just rebuild the catalog?... You did sync metadata to the files, didn't you?

I can't simply rebuild the catalogue because I didn't sync to the files :(
In my previous testing, I found synch to files to be unreliable (see http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3304) so I haven't bothered with it.
MacN

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Sync and Rebuild Reply with quote

Fuse wrote:
RaS wrote:
Why can't you just rebuild the catalog?... You did sync metadata to the files, didn't you?

I can't simply rebuild the catalogue because I didn't sync to the files :(
In my previous testing, I found synch to files to be unreliable (see http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3304) so I haven't bothered with it.

Ras' suggestion is a good one. In principle, if the annotations are all synced, then making a new catalog should work. This depends on the annotations being reliably synced. In MP 2.6 when I first had a problem with moving files with long filenames, various annotations couldn't be synced - e.g. catalog sets. Therefore this method wouldn't have worked then. But it should work now for people who synced.

If you haven't synced, then I suggest trying the Backup method. I was interested by Fuse's comment that some filenames longer than 31 characters were found, while some as short as 25 were lost. When I had this problem, I am sure that some of the lost files were about 25 characters long. If so, then the problem is a bug, since including the extension this comes to 29 (I alway include the dot, because I can never remember if I'm supposed to or not).

If you didn't sync, and you don't have your original catalog because you trashed the only copy, then you are out of luck on both my method and Ras'.

In that case, what I would do is to import files from your folders. If you choose import and select all your folders with pictures (you said your new folder structure is exactly the same as the old one) then iView will import only files it thinks are new (i.e. the missing ones). You could check first how many there are. Even though it's slow, it may still be quicker to re-link the old files manually (and dump the new ones), than to re-annotate new copies.

If you decide re-annotation is quicker (maybe you can make a good metadata template which will cover a lot of fields), you will need to delete references to these files in their old guise, and re-annotate the new ones. I think you can find them by searching for keywords and leaving the keywords field blank. If this doesn't work look around this forum. Someone posted on this recently.

I used a program called File Wrangler, free from here:

http://homepage.mac.com/christopherdrum/blogwavestudio/index.html

to shorten my filenames, and organise them. Now I use a YYMMDD plus keyword filename of less than 31 characters, and it seems OK.

But, surely you kept a back-up copy of the original catalog? So try the backup method.

The big advantage of iView MP3 over previous versions is enhanced and IPTC-compliant synchronisation. If iView goes kaput, or you want to use the files elsewhere, you should be fine. If sync works properly, and if you use it.
Fuse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sync and Rebuild Reply with quote

MacN wrote:
... import files from your folders. If you choose import and select all your folders with pictures (you said your new folder structure is exactly the same as the old one) then iView will import only files it thinks are new (i.e. the missing ones). You could check first how many there are. Even though it's slow, it may still be quicker to re-link the old files manually (and dump the new ones), than to re-annotate new copies.

I have all my original files and catalogue; I do make backups before I change drives :)

After much experimentation in trying to find a solution, I've decided that I have to reimport and manually re-annotate the "missing" files. No matter what I've tried, iView simply refuses to "find" the original files. I even tried renaming the missing files with short names in iView and then renaming the files outside of iView to match the new names. No luck. Some of my folders have long names as well, so I thought that might be a problem. I tried renaming the folders. No luck.

Once I get this sorted out, I'll have another look at synching annotations. I'll probably shorten my file names, too, since long files names seem to be a problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

John
MacN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Good Luck Reply with quote

Fuse: I posted this reply yesterday, but it seems to have been deleted somehow, so here it is again.

I'm sorry you didn't manage to find an easy route out of your problem.

Just for interest:

Did you ever try resetting your original drive with your original catalog and the original files (or equivalent backups, or copied back from the new drive) and then making a backup to your drive? Did it not work? Or had you already got rid of the drive or reformatted it, or something?

I hope there aren't too many problem files, and you get sorted out soon.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: