iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catalog READER 3 & IVIEW MEDIAPRO 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
studio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Catalog READER 3 & IVIEW MEDIAPRO 3 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a version of CatalogReader available which will work with MediaPro 3. I have just upgraded and am able to open my catalog from v2 fine with all data intact. But all other client computers now only show thumbnails and the catalogreader has not retained data.
Is there an upgrade I am missing? because i can not find it on the website and now am only able to use the catalog on one station which is useless!
thank you
drmrbrewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reader for 3 is now out in beta:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/beta/

Mike
Mcgig

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reader 3 has Problem with Find Function Reply with quote

My first test was to search a moderate sized catalog (around 2000 thumbs) for all thumbs that do not contain "x" in the keyword. The find operation did not work. This same search works fine using the full program.
studio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Catalog Reader - beta? Reply with quote

Sorry, very dumb question - but what does it mean that CatalogReader has been released 'beta.'? I'm not sure if I should download this upgrade yet.
Thank yOu.
roberte

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Betas are versions of software that may contain bugs. Releasing it publicly means a greater user and computer base to test it on before final release.

From the beta page:

Quote:
When using any Alpha or Beta copy of an iView application we advise you to work with copies of iView catalogs and media files. This way if a problem does occur you have not lost a valuable file. We also advise you to make sure you have a recent backup of your computer for the same reason.

As this is the Catalog Reader which most probably goes to clients I would not distribute it. Even at its current "final candidate" status. With Christmas and New Year's over I can't imagine the final release is far off.

-- Robert.
ACBairnsfather

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalog READER 3 & IVIEW MEDIAPRO 3 Reply with quote

studio wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a version of CatalogReader available which will work with MediaPro 3. I have just upgraded and am able to open my catalog from v2 fine with all data intact. But all other client computers now only show thumbnails and the catalog reader has not retained data.

Just a guess, immediately after opening an older file with the newer version, save it as a new name and write another file, leave the old one as a backup.

I too am stymied in finding a version 3 of the Reader. Can anyone tell me if Version 3 of iView Media Pro can do a Save As... and save the file readable by version 2 of their Reader software? (I understand certain information saved in the 3 version may be lost.)

I'm not sure if when one buys iVMP the reader is included as part of the download, or if that's a separate download?

I guess there is some backwards compatibility since I made some catalogs in version 3 and one of them has opened in version 2.6.4 for OS X, but I never got the time to tag many of the photos, so my test are not extensive. But this is good initial news. :)
ACBairnsfather

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Catalog READER 3 & IVIEW MEDIAPRO 3 Reply with quote

ACBairnsfather wrote:
Just a guess, immediately after opening an older file with the newer version, save it as a new name and write another file, leave the old one as a backup.

This will not work. I just read (new version available today, plus I registered), in the installer that version 3 stores metadata text in Unicode, which is not used in the earlier versions. So no one with version 2 will be able to read version 3 catalogs. I checked and I can see the thumbnails, but no text.
olaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: Cat Reader & ivmp3 issues Reply with quote

Hi
I have a somewhat similar issue. Catalogs created in the latest version of ivmp3 don't seem transferrable to other computers with Cat Reader v2.6.4. The images travel but without any metdata.

Is anyone out there able to send an ivmp3 catalog to someone else in a readable form? If so please let me know how you do it?????

Thx for your time

Olaf
ACBairnsfather

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cat Reader & ivmp3 issues Reply with quote

Quote:
Catalogs created in the latest version of ivmp3 don't seem transferrable to other computers with Cat Reader v2.6.4. The images travel but without any metdata.

Technically the metadata is there, but is written in a format for storing text called Unicode (developed in order to hold the world's script systems). The text is not in ASCII format. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Quote:
Is anyone out there able to send an ivmp3 catalog to someone else in a readable form? If so please let me know how you do it?????

At the risk of oversimplifying things, if the file format of the catalog was publicly documented then someone could write a conversion utility to take the metadata that's in Unicode format in the catalog and write it back out in ASCII; but there might be other issues like file format differences between 3 and 2. Anyway...here's hoping for the appearance of the new Reader, out of beta and bug free! :)
olaf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Cat Reader and poor marketing Reply with quote

Thx AC!
Your explanation makes complete sense.

If the ivmp Marketing Manager is reading this I hope (s)he is blushing with shame. All it needs is a simple statement like, "We are releasing ivmp3 ahead of its associated Cat Reader for our many users who use this as a stand alone application. If the CR is important to your workflow then either save your ivmp3 catalog in a previous version to continue using CR v2.6.4 fully or alternatively delay upgrading until CR3 is released. We apologise for any inconvenience but feel that this trade off is more than justified". (or similar wording)

I can't be the only one to have wasted hours of frustrating time on this topic. C'mon iView!! You've got a professional product but your marketing communications are amateur. You need to go the extra 10% here!

Olaf
RobMills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support the previous posting 100%. The fiasco with catalogue reader 3 has been very badly managed. Come Ivew people you are targetting a professional market. you need to be professional yoursel.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: