iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cross platform problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: cross platform problems Reply with quote

I am using I-view media 2.6.4 with a Mac G3 powerbook running OS9.1 software. Yes I know I am living in the past and will be updating to G5 and Tiger ASAP. In the meantime however I must prepare some CD's with galleries to be read by clients using P.C. or Mac. I have been trying to get one such gallery to work in P.C.'s before sending to my client but no luck so far. This is what I ahve done:

1. Created gallery in I-view media 2.6.4
2. Put this in a folder along with another folder containing all the larger scans - about 4 megs each - from which the I-view file was created.
3. Also included in this folder a version of the reader - for Mac
4. I then took this folder - containing the I-view gallery, original scans, and catolgue reader, and burned a CD in my Lacie burner using toast set to Mac OS/PC hybrid

I can work from this disc and open the files no problem in the reader. I can also use this disc in other friends Macs. However, if I try to use the disc in a PC to view the gallery I get nowhere. I cannont open the gallery. I realize now this may well be due to the fact that I included a Mac version of the reader. However I also tried it with a version of the reader that a PC user downloaded to their PC and still no luck. Any ideas?

Can I download a PV version of the reader to my Mac and include this with the CD to the client?

I realize I must be making some simple mistake but where????

Thanks for any help,

Garth
Jim the EE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: cross platform problems Reply with quote

After putting everything in one folder I usually do a "path-reset" to be sure that IVMP can find the files. The PC is very picky about paths.

You can include the PC catalog reader on the disk as a .exe file. It will download that way from IV. The end users will have to install the reader on their computers before they can view the files.

The media files names must be less than 32 characters in length. Also avoid the reserved PC characters.

It always works for me.
Garth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for your response. I forgot to mention that I am a technological disaster. Would you please explain exactly how I reset paths?
Should I do this just before I burn the CD? Please speak slowly and use small words!

Thanks,
Garth
Jim the EE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garth,

You must reset the paths before you burn the disk. "RESET PATHS" is found under the "FIND" on the tool bar. It will allow you to browse and find the current location of the files. If all of the files are in the same folder you can select ALL and do one setting. If the files are located in several folders it requires a little more work.

It is also important that you use the same version of catalog reader that was used to make the IVMP file in the first place.
Garth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim you are a godsend. Thank you so much for your help with this! I will give it a shot tomorow as it is late here. One more question, if you wouldn't mind. Is it better for me to download the reader and include it in the same folder as the gallery and scans or should I just get the client to download it directly to thier computer? If I download it myself to send to the client, should I download the PC version to my MAC? Oops, I guess that's two questions.

Thanks again,
Garth
Jim the EE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garth,

I think that it is best if you download the PC catalog reader installer and include it on the disk. That way you are sure that it is the corrrect version.

I always include an "Open Me First" folder on the disk. It includes the MAC catalog Reader, the PC Catalog Reader Installer, and a "Read Me" note which gives a brief explanation of IVMP and the Catalog Reader.

Be sure that you use PC/MAC when you burn the disk. The Catalog Reader must be installed on the PC. It doesn't just operate as it does on the MAC.

Jim the EE
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: