iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iView Media Pro3, Panasonic Raw, and Photoshop Elements??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markpsf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: iView Media Pro3, Panasonic Raw, and Photoshop Elements?? Reply with quote

Still debating whether to purchase this program.

I'm working with Photoshop Elements 4 and Raw files from a Panasonic FZ30.

I can of course use iPhoto 6 but would prefer Media Pro if I can integrate it re using Raw.

Any info appreciated.

Mark
joe r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark -

The latest version of iView does support the Panasonic/Leica RAW format. I don't have any experience with Elements 4. Does it have a RAW converter? If not, you might consider upgrading to Photoshop CS2 - if you have a current license to Elements, you can get CS2 from Adobe for a discount.

You might also check out Peter Krogh's "The DAM Book." I have a Panasonic DMC-LX1, and the RAW files are 16 MB each. When I convert to DNG the size is cut in half to 8 MB each, with the added benefit of being able to embed Metadata into the DNGs if necessary.

Cheers,

Joe
smlg.ca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the latest version (3.1.1) and my panasonic .RAW's aren't showing up.
John Bean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smlg.ca wrote:
I have just downloaded the latest version (3.1.1) and my panasonic .RAW's aren't showing up.

I use Panasonic (and others!) but all my raw files are converted to DNG so I didn't pick this up. You're right, the current version doesn't show .RAW files from my Panasonic LX1. Earlier versions did show them but had a bug that reversed two colour channels causing a very odd display, I guess they fixed the bug by removing the raw support...

FWIW DNG is the way to go for Panasonic; the .RAW files are huge and have no embedded previews. The DNGs produced from them display much quicker in MediaPro - I embed full-size previesw in them - and are half the size of the originals.

Even if you don't use Adobe products in your workflow the DNG Converter is a free download and well worth the effort - especially if you use Panasonic raw and IVMP. The DNG can be read by a number of raw converters including ACR of course, but I prefer Silkypix for Panasonic files.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: