iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JavaScript on Mac

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> JavaScript
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberte

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: JavaScript on Mac Reply with quote

Hi,

Thomas White (aka tho3hite) has posted some AppleScripts on his website (under Extras).

Of special interest is Thomas implementation of JavaScript with iView on Mac using JavaScript OSA. Could JavaScript be the universal scripting language for iView, as it is with Photoshop?

-- Robert.
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clever b....!

Hi Robert, while I would welcome iView having JavaScript on both platforms, and would probably then write it by default, I don't think it should be at the cost of OS-specific languages.

JavaScript tends to be better at automating a single application and is a right pig if you want to get two apps to talk. Another issue is scripting a DAM package often involves interaction with other OS specific features and I'd rather have a native language. By this I mean things like the demo you've seen where I use an Internet Explorer window as a dialog box in a script for iView (for a big step forward in the scripting interface, iView needs the JavaScript engine to allow the window object and controls so we could then build all sorts of sexy dialog boxes). Thirdly JavaScript is hobbled by the lack of a good editing environment that remotely matches the VB editor and its intellisense. I don't say this last as a pointy head but as someone who benefitted from the VB editor's gradual learning curve and misses it in JavaScript (I've said some pretty brutal things to Adobe about the ETSK and the ScriptListener).

But it's an important question and I agree with you about Photoshop. Bridge has it wrong (JS only) while Photoshop has it just right: JS + VB + AS.

John
Dierk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, according to the manual MPWin support JS?! I always wondered why virtually no JS scripts exist and why people were still scripting in OS-specific languages.

While I do know that certain tasks, like communicating with other programs, may not be possible with JS on Windows, but I'd really like to have some of the existing AppleScripts adapted for Windows.

John, could you enlighten me about MP, JS and Windows?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dierk

JS works fine with iView on Windows, just as the manual says. Robert's point is it doesn't work on the Mac too. My point is I don't want iView to have a single JS language, but would prefer it to be multilingual - English + German + Strine (one day I'll think up a really good pun on metadata, mate).

The reasons I don't bother with JS are that iView on the Macs doesn't support it, there's no good editing and debugging environment, and I can't do anything fancy like dialog boxes with JS/iView. As a comparison, I do almost all my Photoshop scripts in JS. Those scripts rarely need to interact with the operating system's features (eg directory structures) but that's much more likely in the DAM field, so a cross platform JS script might well have to include Mac-specific code that I couldn't test.

It might be interesting if anyone from iView would say if cross platform JS (with windows and controls) is on the roadmap.

Identify those AppleScripts and have a go adapting them. The sample scripts and those via here will provide the "architecture", activating iView and the looping through items.

John
Dierk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, obviously I got part of the problem inverted.

As for scripting, I might one day have a look into it but since I am not a programmer and already spent much too much time in front of a monitor, it will take more than just some time. Currently I am working on getting EOS-T to do what I want, which includes me thinking about what I actually want, i.e. how to formulate the necessary legal terms etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is always don't try to learn scripting. Pick the specific thing you want to achieve and learn to do that - you learn the scripting en passant.

John
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> JavaScript All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: