iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Probable reason of reader not yet ready?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxnovi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Probable reason of reader not yet ready? Reply with quote

As a professional programmer I hav some to say about this strange delay of the Catalog Reader for IView 3.0.

The source code of a reader is, most of times, a subset of the main code for the full product. This subcode is managed mostly using internal keywords for compiling (es. #define) so the main code is always the same and the reader code is stripped out compiling the reader. A proof of this is the presence of Reader bitmaps into the full catalog code.
That said, the problem of this absolutely ridicolous delay can be only a management problem. may be the company used an outsurcing firm to develop the reader and there are problems with this agreement? Or the reader is delayed on purpose, may be with a strange policy to bring users to leave this product? Anyway the thing is quite strange, considering that IView is one of the very few DAM softwares on the market!
I have many dubts that this delay has a technical reason!

I hope that Support people will give a true and loyal response to these dubts or we must expect another politically correct answer (ie. none)?

best regards!
roberte

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max,

I suspect iView are having technical issues, most probably with the Universal Binary?

They're probably waiting for all version 3.1 products to be ready before releasing any. The Windows suite hasn't reached a public beta as yet.

Hang in there.

-- Robert.
Ohip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hanging so long my arms are getting very tired and might have to jump to the next tree limb...
DJWebb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows beta was pulled a long time ago and yet the mac one is still available in beta.

You can't blame Mac issues for the reason why the windows beta got pulled.

I'd only had a copy of the reader for a couple of days before it expired but I didn't find any problems with it during that period...

As its been repeatedly stated in these forums pulling a "working" beta with no explanation is just bizare. there's no "business" explanation for it.

Although i tested a number of DAM software options and IVMP3 came out on top, I think I'd still be thinking about my software choice if I'd realised that it was such a mac orientated software.
maxnovi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Hidden reasons? And 3.1? Reply with quote

Hi guys

No Company shots itself in the feet canceling or slowing his Windows line in favour of the Mac product line.This is a fact!

So if this Company delays the reader (and the Mac one is released) than the problem is surely related to a hidden "business" matter.

Are there agreements between this Company and others? The BIG one Company (Ad...) in graphics has Mac and Win products (but not all...).

Will the 3.1 release had the reader or not? There are non tech reasons to put out a 3.0 Reader Beta, time limit it, and then not to go on with development.

I don't think the Company support ever reads these messages. Someone in the Company would had posted an answer in that case!

Portfolio by Extensis has a reader but upgrades are less frequent than IView MP and it has non color profile management and doesn't read stars from Bridge.

We will see...

Thanks for the audience!
DJWebb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree that no company intentionally cancels or slows down is windows software line.

But if (like IVMP3 and Lightroom as two examples) start out as mac software and then have to be converted to windows us windows users are always going to be behind. its obvious and at this point iView seem to be doing nothing to rectify the fact that they have a lot of annoyed customers.
Mavenwood

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Lack of reader Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be simple for the company to just make some comments regarding the beta instead of keeping paying customers irritated while they continue producing glowing press releases regarding the products?

If you're listening, iView management, I just wrote a friend at the Smithsonian who is in charge of several galleries telling her what a mess it had been dealing with you. She had requested a copy of the family history I had produced, as several works of my Father's art, as well as his papers are in the Smithsonian collection and, of course, it is unusable without the reader. I have asked if the Smithsonian has copies of your program and made it a point to discuss your credibility.

Cheers,

Richard Hollander
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: