iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe DNG Converter Performance

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Adobe DNG Converter Performance Reply with quote

This isn't related to iView, but I was just curious to hear from anyone who uses the Adobe DNG Converter software regulary.

What kind of performance do you get from this app (in terms of seconds it takes to convert RAW->DNG on average)?

I've found that it runs very slow (vs my expectations) on my resonably fast PC:
- Windows XP
- P4 3.6 GHz
- 1.5 GB RAM
- 10K RPM WD Raptor hard drive

I have a Canon 20D (8MP camera) and use the following DNG conversion options:
- JPEG Preview: Full size
- Compressed (lossless)
- Preserve Raw image
- Don't embed original

On average, it takes about 10 seconds/file to convert to DNG!

I also ran the DNG converter on a Mac Mini (1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, internal hard drive) and got about 9 seconds/file (w/ JPEG Full size preview).

Is the Windows version of this app seriously crippled or something? It runs faster on an under-powered Mac!

Can anyone with a similar camera (8MP) comment on how long their DNG conversion takes with the Full size JPEG preview?
joe r

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 seconds per file with those settings sounds about right. I'm on a Mac G4.

Cheers,

Joe
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: