iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catalog reader 2.6 only shows small images in slideshow-why?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripps

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Catalog reader 2.6 only shows small images in slideshow-why? Reply with quote

Before I get told to upgrade <g>, I do have the IMP 3.0 box sitting here. However, this afternoon I was under a deadline, and needed to use the CR for the first time, but it didn't work as expected.

I created a catalog of 359 jpegs in my trusty IMP version 2.6.4, then saved it to my desktop. Next, I copied that catalog file, along with the jpegs to a laptop, then on the laptop, downloaded the last version of the 2.6 catalog reader.

When I opened the catalog, and tried to run the slideshow, instead of the images filling the window as I would have expected, they were only an inch or two big on the 14" laptop screen. IMP slideshows on my computer always fill the screen.

I though the purpose of the ICR was to be able to make a catalog, and distribute it, along with the appropriate media to another computer that does not have IMP installed, and be able to see the images. Or, did I make a mistake somehow?

We finally dumped the jpegs into iPhoto, but really would have liked to use the iView software, as it a trusted and familiar friend <g>.

Please let me know if ICR cannot be used view a slide show, or if I needed to "create" it differently in IMP.

Thanks,

Robert
roberte

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

Before I get told to upgrade

The short answer is upgrade :).

IVCR 2 only displays a preview the size of the catalogued thumbnail. You have two options. 1. rebuild the thumbnails to 640px. 2. Include the original files so the IVCR can access them for slideshows.

MediaPro 3 can embed large 1024 or 1280 px previews into the catalog. IVCR 3.1 can then use these in lieu of the originals. Plus your client can submit feedback via the new Notepad feature.
ksum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - I had same problem and have already upgraded to IVCR 3.1
Copied the Reader App and catalogue to CD then opened it in iMac using OS10.2.8
Catalogue appeared with thumbnails but when clicking on 'Media' it displays error message of 'the file name' and 'Folder not found' [-120]
So assumed the Thumbnail version of pic only is available for viewing by the client and that the Media version is linked to the original, providing it is on same volume.
Seems reasonable - but why would you have the Media option available if it has been saved to external media and without access to original volume.
Maybe I have misinterpreted the instructions?
roberte

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

why would you have the Media option available if it has been saved to external media and without access to original volume.

Because you can include the original files and have the catalog point to them. As a workaround in the v2.6 Catalog Reader I change the catalog preferences to open in the Slideshow. Here iView will display the thumbnail.
ksum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi roberte - i understand media option of including original files for accessing them by the client and would add that option if required or provided.
But why provide the reader Media option with an error message and path of the original media to the client if they are not available?
This a catalogue reader showing catalogue thumbnails of the original images. I dont want my client to know where the originals are stored (especially if they are on a website server) when producing a CD/DVD for the client to view from their PC/DVD reader at home.
Cant find it but maybe there is an option to disable Media when saving the catalogue?

BTW I'm stiill getting a small thunbnail with the catalog, saved using 3.1.1 as a slideshow, then viewing on a iMac running OSX 10.2.8 using the v2.6 Catalog reader. Yes I did the upgrade to 3.1.1 but seems the catalog is not backward compatible to either v2.6 CR or OSX 10.2.8 with the slideshow?
Would appreciate any help on this because the client wants to view images at home with the family so they can make selection together.
Plus you guessed it - I dont want them all here at my home, using my system, while they make those 'complex family decisions' in life.
ripps

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I had the forum set to send me an email when someone replied to this, but as I never got any emails, I didn't realize progress had been made <g>.

I have upgraded to version 3.0.2, then 3.1, now 3.1.1 beta.

As I said, I did include the original jpeg files, so I am not sure why the media view in the catalog reader (2.6.4) did not show them full size like I was able to view them on my computer.

When I selected media view, it showed tiny image thumbnails, said -43 error, file not found. It showed the path of the items as being on my original computer, not the laptop where this catalog, the reader & copies of the files resided. Also, in the CR, there is no option to reset the path to lead to the files on this laptop.

So, in short, how can I make a catalog, that can be viewed on a clients computer (which has the original media items), with full sized media view or as a slide show, using the Catalog Reader?

Thanks.

Robert
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: