iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dng too slow

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johndoogan

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: dng too slow Reply with quote

:( I am finding dng files unacceptably slow to preview in the media view (non thumbnail size) compared to my .CR2 files (canon 1ds2 raw format) and for some reason it is worse on vertical files. CR2 files preview instantly.
This is dissapointing as I wanted to future proof using dng and use iview for close up viewing/rating of files but it's too cumbersome.
I'm using iview 3.1 Mac G5/dual 4GB ram, OS 10.4 I have Media rendering set to 'use embedded previews (if available)' and full size preview checked in Adobe DNG converter.
My question is: Is this a known problem that will be addressed or should I just revert to using CR2 files
roberte

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

I can't check on a Mac until the morning, but on Windows MediaPro 3.1 renders the embedded preview for DNG instantly. IIRC since MediaPro v3.01 on Mac iView uses OS X to render DNG.
roberte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

OK on Mac DNG is actually faster than Windows (what's faster than instantly?). In iView preferences it makes no difference whether I select Manufacturer or Apple as the RAW decoder.

Something's definitely wrong with your setup.
johndoogan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I guess I'll keep on experementing but not sure what else to try, I get a slightly faster response on a G4 powerbook. I wonder if it is the file size the 1ds2 generates, around 18mb. For now I'll have to stick to CR2 files which are immediate.
viewfinder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Problems with rotated cr2-files Reply with quote

I have found two discussions at the forum addressing this problem, but there must be more people out there having the same problem, or is something corrupt in my system or setup?

Suggestions for a solution anyone?

yip// staffan

In discussion thread...

http://forum.iview-multimedia.com/viewtopic.php?t=4849

....I wrote:

I too have the same problem.

cr2 from 1DS MII(auto rotate off) to bridge, rotate and add initial metadata, converts to DNG, embeds full-size jpeg.

Import to iview, rotation and metadata ok, but the render speed of the verticals are very poor and slow in "media" and "light Table"(about 7-10 seconds). The horizontal

This is driving me crazy, I mainly shoot vertical, and the problem is the same when i use the auto-rotate function in the camera.

Is this a bug, or is my system corrupt?

SteveF: Pleeease try to think again what you did different when it suddenly worked out on your system....

iView 3.1.2 (42D4)
OSX 10.4.8
Power Mac G5
PowerMac7,3
2 PowerPC G5 (3.0)
2.3 GHz
L2-cache (per CPU): 512 K
4.5 GB
1.15 GHz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: