iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS location photos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> AppleScript
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MtnBiker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: GPS location photos Reply with quote

I'm using a Garmin eTrex Vista and would like to transfer the location information to my photos. I was thinking of searching through the tracklog by time and use either the nearest time to the time the photo was taken or one step better would be to interpolate between the two nearest times. Other checks would be needed to make sure the time was reasonably close and several checks.

I'm not much of an AppleScripter and although I have a copy of the EXIF standard I don't have it with me and I'm not sure I understood it when I read it. I'm hoping someone has done this already and will share their wisdom.

I think I'd lilke to select a batch of photos in IVMP and then have each one sorted through. I did sync my camera to be the same time as the GPS.

Thanks.

PS Glad to see the forum back up.
RockyOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone using GPS with Nikon N14 series Reply with quote

Australian Motorcycle mag "Riding On" March 2004 p33-34 features a couple on a Honda Africa Twin tour remote areas Europe.Used Garmin Etrex GPS,Destinator software,AutoCom Pro 7 intercom(connected to Pocket PC) Pocket PC..The computor/GPS combo "talked" to both rider & pillion so it told them well before they came to a sharp bend for instance.For our use a desirable feature,printing out all stops etc.New Nikon N14 about to be released has,apparently a GPS location feature.I am getting one as I want the full size chip to use with my existing Nikkor lens so I can once again(I quit film 2 yrs ago) have my ultra wide angle lens take ultra w/a pix. Rgs RockyOne

I want a refund on yesterday
jeremyrh

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MtnBiker:

I have just discovered GPSPhotoLinker, which I think is what you are looking for as well!! Now you can put an end to those "where exactly did I take that photo" type questions!!

http://oregonstate.edu/~earlyj/gpsphotolinker/
MtnBiker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I posted this I had found GPSPhotoLinker and he's done an amazing job with this program.

He also has posted an iView template that links to one of the map servers (I forget which at the moment).

The program also finds city, states, and countries for more than the US. Gave me cities in Turkey. This function gives some odd results (e.g., locating smaller more distant cites, rather than the large close one, but it still is useful).

Can't recommend this program enough.
biophilian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: GPSPhotoLinker Reply with quote

I'm converting to iView MediaPro from iPhoto 5 and recently tried GPSPHotoLinker with good results. Very cool! There is one thing I'm having trouble with, however, and hope someone with more experience using iView can help.

For my first import to iView I used ~2500 photos in a single folder. These were all re-tagged with GPS coordinates by GPSPhotoLinker. No problem. The EXIF shows the GPS coords in the Info just fine in this initial cataolog. After realizing I couldn't create albums or select groups of photos within iView (or having not learned how yet) I created a new folder on a different drive with subfolders to organize these 2500 photos into groups. When I opened this new folder with the copied images in iView many of them appear to no longer retain their GPS info, while the originals still do. Am I just missing something obvious? I've tried it with just a few photos that I know have the GPS info, but after they are copied to a new folder--or my desktop for that matter--I cannot get iView to show the coordinates in the info panel.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm a complete newby to iView, so please don't laugh too hard! :lol:

Thanks,

Kevan
MtnBiker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: GPSPhotoLinker Reply with quote

[quote="biophilian"]I'm converting to iView MediaPro from iPhoto 5 and recently tried GPSPHotoLinker with good results. Very cool! There is one thing I'm having trouble with, however, and hope someone with more experience using iView can help.

For my first import to iView I used ~2500 photos in a single folder. These were all re-tagged with GPS coordinates by GPSPhotoLinker. No problem. The EXIF shows the GPS coords in the Info just fine in this initial cataolog. After realizing I couldn't create albums or select groups of photos within iView (or having not learned how yet) I created a new folder on a different drive with subfolders to organize these 2500 photos into groups. When I opened this new folder with the copied images in iView many of them appear to no longer retain their GPS info, while the originals still do. Am I just missing something obvious? I've tried it with just a few photos that I know have the GPS info, but after they are copied to a new folder--or my desktop for that matter--I cannot get iView to show the coordinates in the info panel.

[/quote]
To clarify, GPSPhotoLinker has nothing to do with IVMP. IVMP can read the standard EXIF that GPSPhotoLinker adds to the photo file. (Sometimes you have to Action>Rebuild Item to make IVMP aware of changes to the photo files.)

As I'm sure you've guessed IVMP can create groups of photos by numerous means, the most "logical" are called catalog sets.

Now to your question: If I understand what goes on: GPSPhotoLinker changes the photo file and any copy of that file will have the information GPSPhotoLinker added. You can confirm this by looking at the file in some other program. A guess to what happened is that your so-called copies are copies created before you ran GPSPhotoLinker or you need to do the "Action>Rebuild Item" . One thing not clear to me about what you wrote is sentence beginning "The EXIF shows…" I assume you're referring to what you see in IVMP.

I hope this is of some help. I've really never used iPhoto so don't know about how it works.
biophilian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, MtnBiker. I do understand that GPSPhotoLinker isn't associated with iView. Sorry that wasn't more clear in my reply/question. Yes, I've tried Action> Rebuild Item.

To clarify further, the photos I copied and organized within a new folder were copied directly from the same folder the original iView Catalog is using. This is a folder of ~2500 pics. The location data is imbedded in the EXIFs of these photos and was done using GPSPhotoLinker well before they were introduced to iView. (I'm still working with my first few iView Catalogs based upon these photos) The coords are still there in the original Catalog folder. Where I'm having a problem is in the new Catalog after I copied to another drive and organized these same photos into subfolders and then edited within the Catalog. The GPS data is now missing on many of theses photos. Not sure what is going on.... I must be missiing something obvious. I was careful that the "retain EXIF/GPS metadata" box was checked on edit saves too.

As an example I just tried this:

I dragged a thumbnail copy of a photo from the iView catalog to my desktop. The original is on another drive and I would expect to have a duplicate of it with all the same info appear on my desktop. It's a 5.8 Mb jpg with GPS data from GPSPhotoLinker that shows up just fine in the catalog. Find Info gives the same file size in the copy. When I import this copy from the desktop to a new iView catalog, or into iPhoto for that matter, the GPS data is now missing in the copy even though I see it in the original.

GPS data is retained if I drag the file directly from the original folder to iView or iPhoto, but is not if copied to another location first, like a different drive or folder in my case. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Kevan
MtnBiker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevan
I figured you knew GPSPhotoLinker was indepedant of IVMP, but I wanted to start at the beginning. This applies to some of the other stuff I wrote. I wasn't laughing either. It's also very easy to get confused about what is looking at when looking at copies through another program.

You might look at a program such as EXIF Viewer that shows the EXIF information.

Since you apparently copied both the IVMP catalog file and the associated photos, you need to be careful of which photos IVMP is looking at. It may be looking at the original set or the copied set. Although this shouldn't have anything to do with your problem. I'm mentioning this because as I understand what you've done, your problem is "impossible," so I'm grasping at straws. In my experience IVMP has little trouble with moving photos into other folders, but it can get confusing/confused with copies of files, folders, and catalogs. So for the aberant photos (ones that seem to have lost the EXIF), use IVMP to show media (I don't have IVMP launched so can't get precise terminology) and make double sure that that file is what it's supposed to be and is where it's supposed to be. No doubt the problem has nothing to do with any of this, but I started down this path!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> AppleScript All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: