iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Catalog on CD?????

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob croxford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Windows Catalog on CD????? Reply with quote

OK, I've finally got my catalog sorted on IVMP. Now I want to distribute it to Mac and Windows users. The Reader is easy for the Mac but there seems to be a different policy for the Windows version. I just cannot get it to run from the CD. Nor can I get it to copy from a CD to a PC machine.

I really want my clients to be able to plug and play, not go through complex download procedures and Quicktime installs too.

Please, what is the answer?

Bob Croxford
roberte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I have the opposite problem, Windows is easy! Just install the Windows version on a PC, locate the executable file in the iView Catalog Reader folder, and copy it to the CD. All you need is the one 'iViewCatalogReader.exe' file.

There are many free autorun apps out there including this Aussie one.

The Mac is difficult because there's no easy autorun option, and the iView Catalog Reader is a Mac packet. i.e. it appears as a series of folders.
roberte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

oops I forgot.

and Quicktime installs too

Yes the recipient needs QuickTime. There's no way around that. Either provide a readme with the link to the Apple download page, or include the QT installers on the CD.
bob croxford

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Roberte

Does this mean I have to buy a windows PC to get a usuable version of the reader that I can then burn on my Mac?

Wouldn't it be easier for Iview to have a windows catalog for download by Mac users?

I am not at all sure I want a solution that forces my customers, who often have company rules forbidding installations, to install something on their hard drives.

Now you say I have to get them to link to Quicktime too. F*~%$. Can't I have that on my distribution CD?

Bob
roberte

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Does this mean I have to buy a windows PC to get a usuable version of the reader that I can then burn on my Mac?

If you want a cross platform solution yes I recommend you buy a cheap Dell. But no you don't have to buy a PC.

Wouldn't it be easier for Iview to have a windows catalog for download by Mac users?

Do you mean a Catalog Reader? Otherwise I can happily send you the single Windows exe file (3.59MB). Just email me.

I am not at all sure I want a solution that forces my customers, who often have company rules forbidding installations, to install something on their hard drives.

Yes this is a problem for some corporate clients.

Now you say I have to get them to link to Quicktime too. F*~%$. Can't I have that on my distribution CD?

Either/or. Your client doesn't have to link to QuickTime. What I meant was you can provide the internet link if clients want to download QT. I'm not even sure of Apple's user license as to whether you can distribute QuickTime on CD without permission.
riecks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert/Bob:

I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed. The marketing copy for iView at (http://news.iview-multimedia.com/weblog.php under tuesday may 30th entry) states: "iView customers can now include a MediaPro catalog and copy of Catalog Reader on a CD or DVD and their clients can launch and run the catalog directly from the disc, without installing an iView application."

Technically this is correct, but it's misleading. The key phrase is "without an iView application." It doesn't say "without having to install any programs" as that is not the case when the recipient of the CD doesn't have QuickTime installed.

For those users, they pop in the CD, the autorun.inf file is read, the iViewCatalogReader.exe begins to load.... and then the user sees a dialog that states something like, "It appears you don't have QuickTime Installed. Would you like to visit the QuickTime site?"

If they answer yes they get dumped at the main http://quicktime.apple.com/ page, where they have to guess as to what needs to be done next. If they answer "no" the CD stops spinning and nothing happens!

This has got to be disappointing to a user, and to folks like Bob that expected this solution to work.

I don't know if it's the QuickTime libraries that are being used simply to view the larger files, or the thumbnails as well. If the former, then I don't see why there can't be some partial solution.

Namely, have the catalog software load, allow the user to do a search and see the thumbnails; but not be able to see the larger "Media" view. While not an elegant solution, it at least allows the end user to find the file they are after... or find out that what they want is not available. This is certainly better than being forced to download and install another piece of software just to view the images.

I realize that iView started out as Mac only, and that Windows users are treated a bit as a "stepchild" in this family. While QuickTime (owned by Apple) is already installed by default on all macs that is not the case with Windows. Windows is not owned by Apple, and they have their own competing format player (Windows Media Player) that is installed by default.

So if iView can't allow a solution where searching can be done (even without the media view) then it appears they need to figure out how to use what viewer applications are already present on the Windows machines by default when dealing with the Readers.

With the introduction of Vista, this is going to be an even larger problem, as security is significantly beefed up, and there are going to be many IT departments that are granting fewer priviledges to users who might wish to be able to install software on their machines.

If that is not possible, then perhaps more effort could be put into creating an online searchable version of iView, that users could upload to their own websites and have clients go directly to that location for searching.

Is anything like this in the works?

David
erclose

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Mac & Windows & Quicktime Reply with quote

Not an elegant solution, but one that has worked for me.

Use iView to create (Make) Index sheets. These can have the thumb nail any size you choose. They are Browser readable and when the thumbs are double clicked, at least on a Mac, they get full pixel size. A little large, but?

Put the index files in a folder, named maybe Catalog and a ReadMe file explaining what is on the CD/DVD and how to use the index. One has to launch the correct file and not change the others. And yes, it causes extra jpg image files to be created.

Not elegant, but I believe it should work. It has for friends to whom I have given CDs of photos I have taken.

Not elegant, but one can set iView to have only the file names before making the index and then one can see images and find them on the CD and download them.

The html files made should be readable by about any Browser, or other application that reads this type of file.

As for a slide show, most Mac or PC users can generate one if they have access to the desired images.

As for organization in to Catalog groups, one can use folders on the CD/DVD. So one can actually with some thought and extra work do much of what the Reader does without the Reader and its associated limitations/problems.

erclose@dakotacom.net
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: