iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Main Menu for galleries?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Main Menu for galleries? Reply with quote

Hi!

all my galleries are uploadet now! It looks great! Very easy to use!
but there's one thing left: Is there a way to upload a general list-index, (or a main menue)not for the picutres of the single galleries but for the different galleries?

example: http://www.violinmaker.ch/bogen/bows.htm

Is there some way to upload these titels together with the upload of a new gallery?

I hope you understand my problem
:roll:

Thanks

Niki
Niki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help for my problem?
cdpcdp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently this is a tough one, at least for us regular non-geeks. It would seem that we should be able to tie multiple galleries together that have a link to, and from, a main index page. Like you, I am waiting for answers!

Curt
cabrackett

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: index of index pages (re: main menu of gallery pages post) Reply with quote

I have just had a conversation of this nature with iView support. I asked whether it was possible to have iView create three-level galleries. The answer is apparently no.

I have had to do this manually in the past, adding all the links and images by hand. This is typically not too bad but really gets ugly when you decide to change something and have to go back and change all those links/styles, etc.

It would be a nice feature.
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create an HTML page yourself that links to a number of iView generated galleries. It's not hard to do.

John
Niki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear John, this is what we all are doing for the moment.
The point is, that it would be nice if this could happen automatically!

As soon as you upload a new gallery, in the main index-page or menu, this new gallery would be listed with the link to the gallery. In the gallery it self, there could be a "go back to main menu" button. Do you understand what we mean?

At the moment we have to make (several times a day!) a new list with a JavaScript opened new browser window, in order to close it with a "close window" button. But the user is always a little confused that way, and is simply too complicated.....

Niki
Niki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ cabrackett

Thank you for talking to the iView support!!
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand what you mean. But I also see a problem in how iView's HTML builder would go back up one level - you might use a keyword for instruments, someone else might use countries, another person might want catalog sets as the basis.

If your site is hosted on a Unix server you might be able to use a language like PHP to generate the links. It could interrogate the folder containing the iView generated galleries, then write links into the index page. JavaScript might be able to do it too. I have some sample PHP code if that's any use.

John
Niki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the html-gallery upload window (html settings) it asks for the site-name, this could be the gallery name and been shown as such.

As for the php: interesting idea. The only thing is that it will take me years to write my site in php... I hardly learned html...

Do you have any concrete idea? It sounds interesting to me.

thanks for your help!
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At its simplest, a php page can be the html page, just with a php extension. But it has to be on a php enabled host - usually Unix / Linux.

Here's a snippet of something I use - essentially it's the same code that I use to display scripts on my iView scripts page where I just upload a script to a subfolder and the php lists them automatically. You'd need to change the folder name "client".

John

Code:

<?
if(isset($admin))
{
   $current_dir = '../client/' ;
   $dir = dir($current_dir);
   echo '<table width=800 border=0 cellpadding=5 cellspacing=0>';
    echo '<tr class="strong">';
    echo '<td valign="bottom"><h3>Client area folders</h3></td>';
   echo '</tr>';

while ($file = $dir->read())
  {
   if (strlen($file)>2 && $file!='index.php' && $file!='index.htm' && $file!='style.css' && $file!='_notes')
   {
    echo '<tr>';
    echo '<td><p align="right"><a href="' . $file   .'">'. $file.'</a></p></td>';
   echo '</tr>';
   }
  }
  $dir->close();
  echo '</table>';
}
?>

agrolsy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have created our own gallery, generated from iView with the help of a "homemade" extension, some php and a database. Works beautifully if you ask me, but it requires a web page host that allows you to use php. (the gallery can be viewed at http://gallery.nordharna.se/ )
Niki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks!!

Thank you all a lot! I'm glad to see that there are solutions!

I have to visit several Trade Fairs in the next 3 weeks, but as soon as I'm back from these trips, I will try to realize these ideas!

Thank you very much!

Niki
Niki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I have been trying now for a few hours to realize that code thing, but it didn't work at all! I don't now where to add that code and I don't understand php at all. As you can see in my sample, I only use the "media" page of the template, not the "index".

What a want is the list shown here:
http://www.violinmaker.ch/bogen/bows.htm ,to be created automatically while uploading a new gallery. I would like to open up directly the "media" page, not first the "index". (just the way it is now)

Thank you for your help!

Niki
Niki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help, I need somebody
Help, not just anybody
Help, you know I need someone, help
drmrbrewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit late in on this thread, but I thought I'd chip in anyway. May not directly address the OP's issues, but hey.

I hacked together a workaround that allows me to have MediaPro generate me a "gallery super-index" page that then leads into the various galleries indexes, with links from the various gallery indexes back to the gallery super-index page.

Basically, for the gallery super-index page I just use a bunch of images organised within a catalog set, and I place the folder name for the gallery related to that thumbnail into one of the fields, e.g. Title or Headline, can't remember which. In my html for the gallery super-index page I can then read that folder name and create an appropriate link to the correct gallery index.html page, e.g. "../galleryfolder/index.htm", which operates when the thumbnail is clicked, so that instead of going to the actual media file for that thumbnail, you go to the gallery index page (the media files for the "super-index" are still generated, but nothing points to them).

For the gallery index pages themselves, to enable a link back to the gallery super-index I use one of the variables that you can set from the html creation page to specify the folder name for the gallery super-index, so that I can insert an appropriate link back to the right place.

It sounds complicated, and it probably is, but it works!

Mike
Niki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi drmrbrewer

This sounds very complicated but I think I (almost) understand what you mean. can you link the URL where we can see how it works?

thanks a lot for your explanations!

Niki
drmrbrewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.

Sure, it's at www.mikebrewer.co.uk.

Let me know if I can explain anything else.

Mike
mikirby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agrolsy wrote:
We have created our own gallery, generated from iView with the help of a "homemade" extension, some php and a database. Works beautifully if you ask me, but it requires a web page host that allows you to use php. (the gallery can be viewed at http://gallery.nordharna.se/ )

Wow, your site looks great... can you rpovide the code, or at least some more details on how to do this?

Thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: