iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPhoto to iView Media Pro 2.0

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: iPhoto to iView Media Pro 2.0 Reply with quote

Hello:

I would like to take the 1778 photos I have cataloged in iPhoto and move them into iView Media Pro 2.0.3. I have an AppleScript that will take the iPhoto tags and convert them to IPTC tags but when I import the photos into iView, the title tag from iPhoto shows up in the "Product" area of the annotations.

I would prefer the titles I have added in iPhoto to show up in the "Title" field of the Annotations area of IVMP 2.0.3. Comments I have added in iPhoto move nicely into the "Caption" field of IVMP. How can I accomplish getting the iPhoto titles to appear correctly in the IVMP title field? Would an Applescript that moved the Product data in IVMP to the Title field in IVMP do the trick and if so could someone write one for me? Is that sort of Applescript possible? Thanks for any help!
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Help - please! Reply with quote

I see that many people have read my post but I haven't received any replies. If you need more information or need clarification of what I"m looking for, please let me know and I'll try and make my question a little clearer. Thanks for any help with my question proposed in my post.
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:24 am    Post subject: Found a solution Reply with quote

I was able to try out a shareware app called iKey today and I think it will solve my problem. I set up an "action" sequence to move the information from the Product field to the Title field using one keystroke. Now this does mean that I will have to do this for all 1700 photos but I will also automate going from one photo to the other so it won't be too bad. I think that iKey will be usefull in other instances as well for automating tasks. BTW, iKey is published by Script Software at www.ScriptSoftware.com
jeanine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Richard - can you help me? Reply with quote

Hi Richard - sorry I don't have advice for your question. I do have a question for you. I too want to move my add my iPhoto pictures to iView. Which folder do I drag and drop? Each iPhoto library? Or do I export pictures out? Don't know how you did it.

thanks in advance,

Jeanine
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: iPhoto to iView Media Pro 2.0 Reply with quote

I think what I'm going to do is export the photos from iPhoto and then do an Import File/Folders in iView. I actually haven't done the export from iPhoto. I'm waiting for school to let out when I'll have a lot of free time. I'm also trying to learn my new Nikon D70 digital camera. I have a lot to do. Let me know if this was of any help...

RR
bethfitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: iphoto to iview mediapro Reply with quote

what about the other way? i want to buy iview mediapro 2.0 (waiting for feedback on a posted question). if you can go from iphoto to iview easily, how easy is it to go the other way? i would want my workflow to go that direction.
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Moving files to iPhoto Reply with quote

Should be easy - just import into iPhoto. I plan on doing that when I create .jpegs from RAW files so that I can use iPhoto to make books and for quick and easy posting to a .Mac web page.
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: iphoto to iview mediapro Reply with quote

Beth wrote:
What about the other way?

With both applications open at once, you can also just drag and drop from iView into the iPhoto window. (As with other importing methods, this actually creates a copy of the image inside iPhoto's own directory structure... separate from your iView managed original.) I do this myself to take advantage of iPhoto's excellent slideshow features.

Don't know how to get captions (or any other annotations) into iPhoto automatically. It's an awfully closed application. :? If I were to make a book (which uses a limited number of photos) maybe copy/paste of captions is not too time-consuming... I know -- ugh!

-- Jim
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Richard - can you help me? Reply with quote

jeanine wrote:
I too want to move my add my iPhoto pictures to iView. Which folder do I drag and drop? Each iPhoto library? Or do I export pictures out?

Richards's plan to write comments, etc., into the IPTC data and then use iPhoto's File>Export... command, is maybe the easiest way. (Did I read you right Richard?) However, this approach does assume that you have enough room to export your whole library out to disk.

For all those new to iView and switching from iPhoto, I think a little upfront planning on an organized folder structure to house your images is wise. iView Media doesn't import your photos into it's own file structure like iPhoto does... rather it manages them in place wherever you put them. IMO it useful create a folder organization for them that makes sense to you, and perhaps that you can easily navigate without even using iView.

Cheers,
Jim
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I export from iPhoto I plan on creating a series of folders that will be the same as my film rolls in iPhoto. Then I'll export the film rolls of pictures to those folders after I have moved the IPTC data over. I wish there was a more direct way but there doesn't seem to be. I'll be using Caption Buddy, an AppleScript to move the title and comments data out of iPhoto's fields to the IPTC data.
DaleG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: iview to iphoto Reply with quote

I am also trying to get my keywords from iview into iphoto. I have posted on this site and on apples iphoto site, but I still dont know how to do it. If I synchronize my catalogue in iview.. I think this adds metadata to the actual photo file itself? Would this information up in iphoto? Is there an applescript to import the info?

Thanks
ramatsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: iPhoto to iView Reply with quote

I've got about 8000 photos in iPhoto 2, which has of course become virtually unusable now due to performance problems. I'd like to switch to iView, but I'm surprised how little there is in the way of tools or information about making this jump.

The main thing I want to keep is my keywords; they would be virtually impossible to reconstruct, and are essential for my organization. Is there any way of doing this? Richard mentioned an Applescript - is that your own, and would you share it?

BTW, I don't know much about digital photography storage standards, and can't even find a definion for IPTC. If there is a good source of basic info on EXIF and IPTC, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Allen
RichardRipley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your photos are in iPhoto 2 then you can use the AppleScript, Caption Buddy to move your captions to the IPTC data. IPTC is an acronym for some standards committee for digital photos. International Photo...something?!? Anyway you can get Caption Buddy from Apple's website. Here's the link - scroll to the bottom of the page for the download link-

http://www.apple.com/applescript/iphoto/

BTW, I don't think Caption Buddy works correctly with iPhoto 4.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: