iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IVMP 3.1.2 Crashing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidtownend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: IVMP 3.1.2 Crashing Reply with quote

Hi,

Whats the standard procedure for stopping iview crashing all the time ? I have deleted the preferences (plist) file, but this has unfortunatly not sorted it.

The intermittant crashes occur when I select a thumbnail. It has done it 4 times in the last 5 mins...

I'm on IVMP 3.1.2 (build 42D4) and QT7.1.3.

Thank you.

David Townend
PowerMac G5 2.5 Dual 6GB RAM OS 10.3.9 Additional 400GB Internal Drive 2 x Sonnet Fusion 500 eSata Box's with 5 x 500GB Seagates Nikon D3 Epson 4000 Scanmaker 9800XL LaCie 22" and 19" Calibrated Monitors ProfileMaker 5.0
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:

Is it any thumbnail or just a particular one that's causing the crashing?

Create a new catalog and see if you can add a few pics, save, close and open again. If so then it may be that the original catalog file that you're working with is damaged and that's what's causing the crashes. Do you have a backup copy of it you can try?

If the new catalog appears to work OK, go to the File->Import Items->From Catalog File menu option and select the problem catalog. If you can import all of the files into the new catalog you can go from there. If it crashes you've possibly have a file in the catalog that is causing the crashes.

Note: you've posted in the iView Media forum and the the MediaPro forum.

Do you Twango?
davidtownend

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Old Toad,

So as a piece of general advice if a catalogue is crashing iview, then the idea is to create a new catalogue, and try and import the data from the old catalogue to the new one ?

Do you have a trouble-shooting Order of Preference that I can have 'at hand', because this sort of thing is happening a lot more to me now.

The catalogue in question is now behaving itself...for the moment (after a machine restart), so I am unable to replicate last nights crashing this morning.

I have noticed iView MP is not as stable as it used to be. I have had problems with importing files from CD's a couple of days ago (reported in my earlier post).

Thank You for your help.

David
PowerMac G5 2.5 Dual 6GB RAM OS 10.3.9 Additional 400GB Internal Drive 2 x Sonnet Fusion 500 eSata Box's with 5 x 500GB Seagates Nikon D3 Epson 4000 Scanmaker 9800XL LaCie 22" and 19" Calibrated Monitors ProfileMaker 5.0
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(after a machine restart),

Do you keep your machine on all the time and just sleep it at night? I don't and often forget to suggest a restart as part of the problem solving process. It's amazing how many issues can be fixed by either a reboot or a cold start.

I don't have an order of preference. For general maintenance on my G5 I always repair disk permissions before and after any software installation and/or update. If it's a system or system component update I'll run Disk Utility before hand and verify the disk. If it doesn't pass verification I boot into the system install disk and repair the disk from there.

I also make sure I have plenty of free space on my boot drive. I prefer to have a minimum of 20 G for optimized performance.

As far a iView, I do keep the previous version, 3.1.1, available. But for iView trouble shooting, I've only had a couple of issues. One is some files that crash 3.1.2 when I do a search over multiple catalogs and want the results in a new catalog. I thought I had it fixed when I deleted the iView preference and settings file but it came back on some secondary, test catalogs. It doesn't do that with 3.1.1.

If you do keep the machine on all the time, an occasional restart wouldn't hurt and may keep some of the gremlins at bay. In some of my apps when I've experienced some erratic behavior I run OnyX and clean out the User caches including the font caches. Once in a great while I've cleaned out the system caches if there's been some strange system behavior. This will make the next restart or two a little slower until all the caches have been rebuilt, etc., but that's all.

Being an amateur I probably have a different work flow from most of the users here in the forum. I use a card reader to upload to a folder on the desktop, name the folder and then place it in my source file folder system. Then I import the files into iView. I just like to get the files onto the HD so that they can take on the necessary permissions, etc. before I put them into my system. I don't use RAW which presents a much more complex set of issues.

Make sure you back it up your catalog frequently, and let us know how it goes.

EDIT: I forgot to ask what size your catalog file is as the catalog file size can be a problem. If it gets up near 1.8G you can have problems. This can creep up on you if you elect to use full previews and large thumbnail sizes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: