iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From directory tree to hierarchical catalog set...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> VB Script
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkperez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: From directory tree to hierarchical catalog set... Reply with quote

OK, 1 more and I'll go away for a while......

Since iview doesn't have hierarchical keywords, which I think is a HUGE problem for a catalog tool, I was pointed at catalog sets as an alternative.

So, I went looking for a windows script to take the directory structure of my images and put them into a catalog set... I can't find anything. I MAY have found something for a Mac but its not even openable so its not too useful... And, no, I'm not going to switch to a Mac.

SO, can someone tell me what the catalog set variables are? I looked at the version 2 script manual, but don't seen anything there... I can get the application as iView.Application, and I've figured out keywords are Annotations.Keywords, but I haven't found any reference to catalog sets...
dkperez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a bad question? Too obvious? Or one that just doesn't work?

Anyhow by trial and error I got the problem down to a more specific question. I found a script and figured out how to see a current catalog set

For each n in iviewCat.MediaSets
'msgbox "set = " & n.Name
'msgbox "lvl = " & n.Level
Next

BUT, how do I create NEW information in there? The script I have contains this line:

set Collection = iviewCat.MediaSets.Make(ArchiveSetName)

but it blows up... So, what do I need to do to create new entries in catalog sets?
roberte

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The Mac scripts do work, with limitations.

John Beardsworth wrote a VB Script but discovered an issue with iView's object model. IIRC the uppermost Set needed to contain items and iView is limited to about three branches deep.

Hierarchical keywording really needs to be built into MediaPro. Scripts are just a workaround. Maybe v3.5?

Have you lodge a user suggestion?
blueman541

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using 3.1 and able to have more than 3 level deep in my Catalog Sets
I am learning VBscript just to move my iMatch catalog over to iView.

to make a category set, this is the code i wrote.

Code:

Dim mediaSet
   Set mediaSet = app.ActiveCatalog.MediaSets
   'top level set
   If index = 0 Then
      mediaSet.Make(name)
      'MsgBox "Just root added " & name
   Else
      'sub-sets
      mediaSet.Item(index).Make name
      'MsgBox "Just sub added " & name & " to " & mediaSet.Item(index).Name
   End If

Basically to add a top level category set use
Code:
mediaSet.make(name)

To add a sub category use
Code:
mediaSet.Item(index).Make name

every category set has its own INDEX#. The index isn't static, so it changes when new sets are added.

+---Fish
+---Bob
| \---Dinosaur
| \---Bird
\---Cat

Fish would be 1, bob 2, Dinosaur 3.
But if we add a sub set to Fish, Bob will be 3 and Dinosaur be 4.
So the index# just increments down the tree.

The Windows Sripting Guide ver1.1 found in your install directory should have all the stuff you need start scripting. Took me a while to understand the objects, but it worked out.

So if you wanted to edit an image's attributes, maybe for example changing the name

Code:
app.ActiveCatalog.mediaItems(index).Name = "myName001.JPG"

To change a category set's name
Code:
app.ActiveCatalog.mediaSet.Item(index).Name = "BoB"

Hope i answered your question. I too was lost for a while and just poked around for a week. Helps to learn some VBsripting beforehand.
dkperez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info......

I haven't made an enhancement request because I need to get this to work in the current version. If this product doesn't do what I need I'll pick something else (there are a TON of cataloging tools for PC).

So far, iView is mostly adequate but to do even basic functions I want it lacks major capabilities that are forcing me to mess with software... I may load up Portfolio and see if it does more of the basics without so much manual scripting garbage...

The other huge problem is it seems very Mac-centric, which (and this is purely anecdotal and not pointed at any individual) typically results in a lot of defensive responses, finger pointing, and disputes rather than actual help.

BTW: I DID send my question to iView support when I posted it here... NEVER GOT A RESPONSE... Not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement that they'd received the question and were working on it... Again, I perceive this to be because it was a VB question for PC in a non-native PC product environment... Which tends to reduce the likelihood that I'll give them money... Or recommend the product when I'm teaching the seminars I do on digital photography, Photoshop, workflow, image management, and so on...

Anyhow, 'nuff ranting... I'll see if I can wade through blueman541's code and figure out how to set catalog sets...
roberte

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes iView is Mac-centric but is striving for cross platform parity. With the new owners this will undoubtedly change. Some of the interface and shortcuts are lifted from Mac. There are just as many shortcuts similar to Photoshop and they work for Windows too.

If you didn't receive an automated reply after lodging your request iView may not have received it. The last page in the online form mentions something along those lines. Perhaps try using another email address.

When evaluating DAM look beyond the features and at the underlying philosophy. IMatch is the about ugliest, least intuitive DAM I've used but Mario attracts legions of zealous fans. I credit this to him and his understanding of how photographers work, not necessarily his application.

There is nothing wrong with IMatch, nor Portfolio, Mediadex, and FotoStation for that matter. Whatever works best for you. It just so happens most of the respected DAM community use iView.
blueman541

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 2nd that. iMatch has a really ugly interface which would scare of alot of users. Not so user friendly, but lots of flexibility for you to do anything if you know how.

I tried alot of the other DAM demo install and i found iView easiest to use for my purpose. Easier to teach my grandma etc to learn iView than iMatch =]

Although, iMatch newest version is getting better graphically, I am tempted to go back to iMatch, but not yet. iView still fits my needs better. But now that i have learned some scripting, i am not afraid to migrate back to iMatch if need be, or any other DAM.
dkperez

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've spent some time fiddling with the code... And I'm still missing something.... Being a VERY NOT expert with VB its probably something obvious, but...

Dim app
Dim mediaSet

set app = CreateObject("iView.Application")
Set mediaSet = app.ActiveCatalog.MediaSets

x = "toplevel"
mediaSet.Make(x)

msgbox "made top set"

I stripped down the code to the simplest thing I could think of and when I run it I get an error on the make statement of "Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment"

I even tried doing the make using the .item(index) and got the same error...

What am I missing now?
blueman541

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ran your code. it works without error.
What version of iView are you using?

i am using iView version 3.1.2
dkperez

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(with sheepish grin).........

I'm now at 3.1.2...... I THOUGHT I was at the current version but it turned out to be 3.0.2

Now that its 3.1.2 it runs fine...

OK, back to original experimenting........
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> VB Script All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: