iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When Exporting Metadata can it be longer than 27 characters?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> AppleScript
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevoramaa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: When Exporting Metadata can it be longer than 27 characters? Reply with quote

I'm exporting a batch of image files and for some reason when I export to metadata, it only stops at 27 characters. Is there a setting in which I can fix that if my file name is longer?

Example:

My file is
Great_Ocean_High_house_Austalia_01-08-46-01.160

and when exporting it gives me
Great_Ocean_High_house_Aust

Of course if you have 100 other files that start with Great_Ocean_High_house_Aust
it won't finish the rest of your files which leaves you having to go back and fill in the missing numbers to the correct file one at a time.

I work for a video Editing, TV network, online media company and I don't have time to go back over 2,000 or more files each to correct this problem.

Does anyone know if in Iview there's a setting in which it will give me more than 27 characters or even bypass it?

Steve-
SuperMacGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a long standing bug, I had a post about it 2 years ago I think. The situation was slightly different, but long long filenames just get truncated. I had to change my filenaming system to less than 32(28) characters to make sure iV stopped losing my (local) files. Scripting was also a problem.
roberte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This was on the short list we (Peter Krogh, John Beardsworth and I) gave Microsoft last month. There is a service pack due in a few weeks so lets hope it was one of the bugs that gets included.

What to do right now? What are you exporting, maybe there is a workaround. BTW are you on a Mac?
stevoramaa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Answer to what system's we use! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply at least I'm not alone! We just upgraded to the new version now that Microsoft bought iview out!

We use Mac base systems G5's and mac book pro's.

Another thing> WHY can't we use the "Undo" button. For something that is so crucial and tedious in what I do I wish there was an undo!

steve
Worship Network
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> AppleScript All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: