iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compatibility of Reader 3.1.1 with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Compatibility of Reader 3.1.1 with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Reply with quote

Has anybody experienced any difficulty in using iView Catalog Reader version 3.1.1 (for Mac OS X) with Apple's new "Leopard" Operating System, Mac OS X version 10.5? This issue is of importance since I have distributed several dozen photo CD's and DVD's with iView (version 3) catalogs and the iView Catalog Reader V3.1.1. Even if there is an updated reader, the version on the previously distributed media will no longer be useable.

Information on experience with the reader and the new OS will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-- TR
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TR:

I normally don't use the reader but tried it and it seemed to run OK. I did notice that the slideshow had a quirk that may or may not be an issue. When the dimensions of the photos vary the largest is set to full screen or nearly full screen and those smaller are scaled relatively, i.e smaller on the screen. I have no idea if that is normal for the reader.
tedrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Old Toad --

I rely on the reader since most of my CD recipients are non-computer types and wish to see my slide shows, using catalog sets for comprehensive (end-to-end) material such as trips, or detailed subsets (e.g. "animals"). I use description (caption) as my primary annotation. I set the slide show options in IVMP to "fit height" as the default. This way I can scroll panoramas, whose caption is enclosed in "<--" and "-->". It would be important to see if the "fit height" default is maintained in a slide show viewed with the reader.

Thanks again,
-- TR
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had set the slideshow settings to 50% scale so that's why I was getting the results that I got. Changed it to fit height and all played as it should, even .mov files that were included in the slideshow.
tedrr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

I really appreciate your evaluation. I am planning a Mac OS X upgrade soon, and compatibility issues are always an issue...

Thanks again!

-- TR
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

tedrr wrote:
I really appreciate your evaluation. I am planning a Mac OS X upgrade soon, and compatibility issues are always an issue...

Thanks again!

-- TR

Be sure to disable any 3rd party plugins like APE, etc., before running the update. I prefer the Archive and Install method with the option to preserve user and internet setting selected. The only issue I had was with Quicktime and it was due to a bad preference file in my Preferences folder. I ran this routine on it to get rid of it.

Trouble Shooting Preferences

Go to HD/Users/Your_name/Library. Move the Preferences folder (in its entirety) to the Desktop and make a second copy of it so you have Copy A and B. Now try the the process again and determine if problem is fixed.

If the problem IS fixed, then go to the new Prefs folder that the OS will have created and open it up.

Open Copy B on the Desktop and select all of the items inside. Drag them into the open new library folder. When the Copy window comes up check the Apply to All check box and then click on the Don't Replace button as seen here. That will keep the new files created and bring back all of the others.

If the problem is NOT fixed, trash the new Prefs folder and move the intact Copy A folder back to the Library folder.

When I replace all but the newest preference files I was left with about 7 old ones.

All in all it's a good upgrade. The new dock and stacks will take a little getting used to but there are workarounds to almost any item one might not like.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView Catalog Reader All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: