iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insert Keywords

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Insert Keywords Reply with quote

I know this should be simple, but I've spent half a day on this and can't do it at all. If any of you can help, I'd be grateful. iView's help (HTML Galleries) was totally useless: if you already know, then it's fine, probably. No change there.

All I want to do is to put keywords onto the created webpage - next to the caption on each individual photo. I've tried putting the (IVMP:Keywords) thing they mention in their 'Help' in all sorts of places, but nothing works.

I have made basic HTML pages before, and a few years ago I modified an iView created page. But nothing works for me now.
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, it is (iView:Keywords).

Have you reviewed the html that gets output - I don't mean in a browser but in a text editor as I'm thinking the keywords may be there but not in a visible place. Maybe post the template files somewhere - otherwise it's hard to spot what's going wrong.

John
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: But Where Reply with quote

But where do I put this code?

Do I have to insert a line telling the HTML that it's the code to look out for?

And does it go in the 'Index' file, as I think, or in the 'Media' file? I tried to put it next to the Caption command, thinking that it would simply add the keywords next to the commands.
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try opening an existing template in a text or html editor and use that as an example. It goes in the Media file.
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: But Where Reply with quote

Thanks JB:

I've done that, but nothing happened. So what I'm asking is WHERE in the code I should put the Keyword bit. I tried it next to the Caption bit, in Index or Media and both, but nothing happened.

I have a feeling that you have to tell the script that this variable is coming, and have to enter it twice.

I think that the iVMP pdf will be obvious to those who know HTML + CSS, and no use to those who don't. Like much of the iVMP manual!

So, if anyone knows how to do this - I think it's a matter of putting in one or two lines of code in the correct place - what is the correct place & what is the correct code?
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right place will depend on whatever layout your template happens to be in, but here's an extract of one I just tested

Code:
 <td width="180" align="center" valign="bottom"><h3>(iView:Catalog)</h3>
      <p><strong>(iView:Headline)</strong></p>
      <p>(iView:Caption)</p>
      <p>(iView:Keywords)</p></td>

John
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Which One Reply with quote

John:

Thanks for taking the trouble to do this.

I've had a look, but not managed to get it to work.
Could you tell me which template you are using in your example?

Also, is it a iVMP2 or iVMP3 template? I have downloaded all of both from the iView HP, so I should be OK.

Thanks

MacN
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an existing one of my own which I modified. Really, you should be able to figure out the HTML - it's not rocket science. Copy a built in template folder to the user area and look at the media page's HTML in Text Edit or whatever you have. You'll soon see how it hangs together.

John
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Templates Reply with quote

Thanks John:

Copying a template and then inserting code where I thought it should go is what I did at the beginning - before posting here.

But I couldn't find where to put it to get it to work in the iVMP templates. I've done it before with iVMP (maybe four or five years ago), and I've written a home page in HTML from zero more recently, but some of the iVMP3 templates are CSS and therefore more complex, so if you could say which template you actually used to get keywords in successfully, that would be helpful.

I've tried about 10 of the templates, and not got any of them to work.

I know it's not rocket science - but if so, why can't the iVMP so-called help pdf simply say, 'If you want to have keywords shown, then insert code xxx in this place'.
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say that template was one of my own ones, though that doesn't make a big difference.

Take a look at the Umalaire template and the media.html file. I'll highlight the bit I've added. Here the keywords show on the larger preview page, not under the thumbnails (maybe that's what you're getting wrong)

Code:
<p class="caption">(iView:Caption)
<br />
Keywords (iView:Keywords)
<br />
<br />(iView:Filename)</p>

The bit I added was this:
Code:
Keywords (iView:Keywords)
<br />

John
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

John:

Thank you very much.

That worked.

I was assuming that I had to put in something like <p class="keywords">, or repeat <class="caption"> before the line (iView:Keywords) , and kept trying various permutations on this idea. The place I was trying to do this in was correct (i.e. where you said), but since it isn't necessary, it didn't work, and caused problems.

Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry to have seemed an idiot, but I really did try for a long time before asking for help. And I still feel that the iView manuals could be clearer.

Anyway goodnight (11:40pm here in Japan).

And thanks again.
johnbeardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a bigger idiot if you don't ask.

John
MacN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: All the best Reply with quote

But I bet you're hoping that I don't come back tomorrow asking how php fits into iVMP. (Smile)

By the way, thanks also for all the answers you've given to various people on this forum over several years and which have been helpful to me and others who didn't necessarily post in the thread in question.

I've moved to Leopard on my Mac(s) and am delighted to find that iVMP 3 still works fine. After using iVMP basically as a re-namer of my photos, in the last two years I have started keywording properly (15,000 photos so far, not all fully keyworded but getting there - helped by the Catalogs2Keywords Applescript provided by some generous soul), and yourself, Robert E and the Old Toad have helped me to keep using it through some spots when I thought I might otherwise give up.

MacN
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> HTML galleries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: