iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pay once more for EM version 2 ??????

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildpicture

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Pay once more for EM version 2 ?????? Reply with quote

Just saw the Expression Media version 2. I downloaded and installed it. When I tried to enter my license number, I got an error message saying that it is not valid. So I went searching for more information. And I found out that users who bought IVMP 3.x or MS EM version 1 must pay again ($99) to get the version 2 of the software. :shock:

What is Microsoft trying to do? Scare away the few remaining photographers still using this software, to Lightroom? I really liked IVMP and have used it with pleasure. I bought IVMP2 and then immediately after I have to buy an upgrade to version 3. EM1 was basically just IVMP 3 reskinned and with some extra bugs. And now we have to pay once again to get version 2????

What is EM 2 really? Apart from the first real working MS version of IVMP3?
:roll:

Wildpicture, Wildlife photography www.wildpicture.com
Dell 9150 4GB RAM, XP SP2, IVMP 3.1.3
hsakols

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: This is unethical Reply with quote

After switching to EM1, I discovered that microsoft removed some of the html galleries that were available in iview. Now I see that they are using the same galleries in EM2. Essentially I'm asked to pay twice for the same product. I also rely on iview to organize large film images. Essentially those of us who used EM1 were beta testers and now we are asked to pay up. I think Microsoft should pay us. I really believe in Iview as the best DAM for my work. But I'm in the minority having a large film collection. I don't see how EM2 will become anything as big as Adobe Lightroom. I imagine that if Microsoft can't successfully market this DAM solution they will just kill it. This is a sad day.
Dierk

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when does paying for one version once entitle one to unlimited, perpetual updates and licences?

Whatever one might think about the changes and new features [or their non-existence], it is totally unreasonable to believe one should pay only once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wildpicture

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind paying again if the software would really have big new useful features. EM2 is basically EM1 with some bugs removed (hopefully). And EM1 was just the MS version of IVMP 3. So basically there have been no really new big features since IVMP version 3 at all.

Wildpicture, Wildlife photography www.wildpicture.com
Dell 9150 4GB RAM, XP SP2, IVMP 3.1.3
Dierk

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the 'useful' and the 'big' qualifiers make the whole argument pointless. I am all with you in my criticism of Microsoft that the developmental cycle of xMedia is very bad, indeed, when it comes to new features and revamped UI. They have, however, done some great work with, admittedly, relatively few obvious changes.

What they have done under the hood I cannot speak about, simply because I am not a programmer and cannot re-engineer the code. Most of the bug squashes and much code streamlining cannot be seen as such by the user.

There is one thing that changed rather radically: speed. I have set MediaPro and now xMedia to render previews on the fly from my NEFs [and TIFFs and JPEGs]. In the past that made the Media tab as well as the light table useless since it took close to a minute or even longer to see an image. With xMedia v2 the process is almost instantaneous, that is the program fetches the embedded JPEG preview from the NEF much faster. Whatever the method for TIFFs, even very large ones [way over 200 MB] come up very quick, JPEGs just zip onto the screen.

The light table has been revamped, too, making it not just usable [speed] but useful. It is one of the few windows you can put on a secondary monitor, it can be used full screen or at a smaller preview size. Changing photos in the different slots is now very easy, i.e. by clicking on a thumbnail in the main window, and flexible.

As a new feature I welcome the Virtual Earth implementation, which is far from optimal, granted. It works well with what the underlying application is capable of, and once one gets several quirks [from the grey drop-area to checking and un-checking Auto Move] sorted out in use, it is very helpful. this might not be a feature you are looking for but it is new, major and useful.

One thing that has to be said for the developers [original team from iView]: They came up with such a good DAM that it is still tops.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlainC

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you : 99 $ is too much for too few enhancements, I'll stay with iView 3 and move to Lightroom
roberte

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly I agree that Microsoft should reward patient and loyal users with a much less expensive upgrade, say $29.

Whether xMedia 2 has enough features to warrant the upgrade for your use is, well up to you. It's interesting that we're even having this discussion. With iView it was almost certain users would upgrade. The same for Lightroom.

For the record Lightroom is a RAW converter whereas iView is a DAM app.
AlainC

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightroom is a RAW converter and a DAM
Dierk

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to xMedia [regardless of version number] Lightroom is a damn.

BTW, if only the VE implementation of xMedia v2 would have been what MS Pro Photo Tools has become almost simultaneously ...
focus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dierk wrote:
Compared to xMedia [regardless of version number] Lightroom is a damn.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far. There are aspects of Lightroom metadata and keyword entry and management that outshine xMedia, and if put up against an earlier iView, I would take Lightroom for sure. Maybe it doesn't have as wide a range of DAM features as xMedia, but I immediately noticed that Lightroom solved a few issues that iView/xMedia never fixed, like clearly indicating catalog metadata update status vs. the original and syncing them up quickly and precisely.

I'm already thinking that one of the key differences between xMedia and Lightroom is that with xMedia you pay the same price but you don't get a world-class RAW converter. A pity.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: