iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with portrait appearing landscape

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeCaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Problem with portrait appearing landscape Reply with quote

Whenever I travel with my laptop (Mac Powerbook running 1OSX 0.4 and iView 3.1.2) I always copy my full iView catalog from my desktop to the laptop. I then use the lapop to catalog my photos on the trip and copy everything back to the desktop (Mac Pro running OSX 10.5 and iView 3.1.2) on on return. After a quick path reset I'm then running as normal on my desktop.

After my recent Route 66 trip I've now noticed that while the thumbnail and photos shot in vertical / portrait mode appeared OK on the laptop they're appearing horizontal / landscape on my desktop once they've been copied over.

If I then select the photos and then open in Lightroom they all appear in the correct orientation.

In Iview the EXIF information for "Orientation" just says "Default".

I perhaps should mention that the camera is a Nikon D300, which is my first Nikon after a lifetime of Canon, and it had a GPS unit attached to it. However, the only variable I can see is the OS, 10.4 of the laptop and 10.5 on the desktop.

I can't figure out why iView on the desktop isn't showing the thumbnail and photos in the correct orientation. Any ideas?

Mike
Old Toad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike:

What I do to avoid any issues with other applications having problems with the auto-rotate tag is to turn it off in my camera and then do a JPEG Rotate in iView upon importing. That physically rotates the files and form then on there's no problem with any application that may not read the orientation tag. It works for me.

I also suggest you upgrade to 3.1.3 as it is the last and, IMO, the best version. However, there's an issue with 3.1.3 and 10.5: the text field backgrounds in the Batch Rename and Set Creator Details panes take on the same color as the background of the window you came from. So if yo have a dark background in the thumbnail/media/list views and go to either of those options you won't be able to view the text in fields. Simple solution: make the background in those modes a lighter color that will let the black text display legibly. I have several different window formats saved in the View Options pane that I can quickly change to depending on what my need is, i.e. white background for contact sheets, black for just viewing and general organization and light gray for using any of those panes needing a lighter color background. I don't know if 3.1.2 has the same problem with Leopard.
MikeCaine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only on this set of photos on my desktop computer that I have the problem. In all other instances the orientation has always been 100% correct. I can't see why it should be OK in all other cases, and this set be OK on the laptop but all messed up on the desktop.

I know you've suggested I upgrade to 3.1.3 before, but then I was on 3.1.3 and was having an issue with a reset path bug the solution was to downgrade back to 3.1.2 so that's what I've stuck with since then as when I copy catalogued files from the laptop to my desktop I have to reset paths each time.

Thanks

Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: