iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iView MediaPro 3.1.3 & NEF File (by Nikon D300)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iksung

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: iView MediaPro 3.1.3 & NEF File (by Nikon D300) Reply with quote

I use iView MediaPro 3.1.3 on Windows XP.

A few days ago, I downloaded a few NEF files (D300) and for some reason when I try to open a catalog, it gives me a warning. It says " there was a problem importing image file" and shows a particular file name.

When the catalog opens, it freezes up and nothing happens. I cannot even close the programme. I have to use Ctrol + Alt + Del in order to close it.

I thought if I delete that particular problem file, it may solve the problem. However, I simply cannot delete or move it. I tried various methods but failed (Windows, NX, Photoshop Bridge, Photoshop...). I get the message saying "the file is accessed or used by other programme or person" so it cannot be deleted......

Would anyone be kind enough to give me a piece of advice as to what I could try? :cry:

Many thanks.
iviewadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'd recommend that you migrate to Expression Media since this will work with Nikon files, including the Nikon D300. If you need help upgrading please contact me on the General Enquiries e-mail;
http://www.iview-multimedia.com/company/

Grab the latest Nikon Codec which will support these file.
http://www.nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

I hope this assist you.

Kind regards
Simon Street
Iksung

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Simon. I will try what you suggest.
Dick Bos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Iksung,

In case you don't use Capture to work on your NEF's here could be a work-around. If you convert your files to the DNG format using the latest Adobe DNG converter you don't need a new codec OR xPression Media but can stick to iViewMP. DNG's from my D300 show up perfectly in iViewMP. Download it here: http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/. Save your original NEF's as a back-up.

Good luck,

Dick Bos
Iksung

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dick

Thank you for your advice. Sorry for not replying sooner. I was away and got back yesterday.

My problem has been resolved but I can not explain how. There was this particular file causing the problem, which simply I could not delete.

However when I added more images in the catalogue, it seemed to unlock the blockage (not very technical term, sorry). As a result, I was able to delete the problem file and since it has been behaving OK.

Thank you again for your advice. I also convert NEF to DNG when downloading using Bridge.

Regards

Iksung
Bernard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iksung,

I have the same problem, iView 313 (Windows XP) does not read NEF files from the D300.
Could you explain a bit more your solution ? This is the first time I hear that iview can read those files....

Simon,
I have tried Expression Media (V1) , and got the same problem . Do you mean I need EM V2 and the latest Nikon codecs ? (Windows XP SP3)

Thanks,
Bernard
Iksung

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bernard

I am sorry to hear that you have the same problem and I know how frustrating it is. Unfortunately I am not very technical with computer. As I said before, I don't really know how exactly my problem was resolved. I am very sorry.

Since I upgraded to D300 a few months ago, I always convert NEF to DNG when downloading (using Bridge), as I could not view NEFs from D300 in iView.

The DNG files work perfectly OK with iView. So far the DNG files haven't caused any problems except that I can not view Thumnails of DNGs in Windows, so I use Bridge to view thumbnails instead when necessary.

Hope you can resolve your problem soon.

Regards

Iksung
Bernard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, some good news !
With Expression Media V1 SP1 (Windows XP SP3) I could not read D300 NEF files.

After installing EM V1 SP1 'Rollup' , ie 1.0.9058.0 , I was able to import D300 Nef files into a catalog, without any problem. Thumbnails and media are OK , all 700 files were NEF lossless compressed.
I did *not* upgrade Quick time (7.2) and I did *not* download the Nikon codecs.
Thanks to Roberte for pointing to the right blog, which gave me the url for downloading 1.0.9058.
Bernard
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: