iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kernel Panic when starting iView 3.1.3 on Leopard

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Kernel Panic when starting iView 3.1.3 on Leopard Reply with quote

Every other launch of iView bring my system down with a kernel panic forcing me to hard restart. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Toad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried deleting iView's preference file and trying a gain. If that doesn't help run Disk Utility from the System install disks that came with your Mac to repair the disk? If repairs are indicated run it a second time after the repairs are made.

If no repairs are indicated log into another account and see if iView will cause a kernel panic there. If so, an Archive and Install of the system (with the option to keep internet and user settings) may be indicated.

It the other account does not crash then it may be a preference file other than iView's. You can determine if that's the case as follows:

Trouble Shooting Preferences in Leopard

1 - Create a folder titled "Preferences A" on the Desktop.
2 - Open the working Preferences folder, HD/Users/your_name/Library/Preferences, and move the contents to the Preferences A folder on the Desktop (if the contents are just copied to the folder on the desktop you'll have to move them to the Trash after copying to the Desktop folder).
3 - Make a duplicate copy of the Preferences A folder on the Desktop as a precautionary backup.
4 - With the working Preferences folder empty run the application again and determine if the problems is fixed.

NOTE: you may have to drag the contents of the working folder to the trash and empty if moving the contents to the A folder only copies them instead of moving.

5 - If the problem is fixed:

A - open the working Preferences folder (HD/Users/your_name/Library/Preferences).
B - Open the Preferences A folder on the Desktop, select all of the contents and drag them into the working Preferences folder.
C - When the Copy window pops up check the "Apply to All" check box and then click on the Don't Replace button as seen here.

6 - If the problem is NOT fixed, empty the working Preferencess folder and move the contents of the Preferences folder on the desktop back into it.
albo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all those suggestions, I really appreciate it.

It KILLS me that I'm having this issue because there's nothing else out there to replace iView. I tried Lightroom this morning, the 2.0 beta, and it doesn't even work correctly with Leopard's Spaces, and was a total loss.
Old Toad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to use iView again. As you can see I'm running Leopard 10 5.3 and it works fine except for one minor bug which is more an annoyance than a problem.

When you go into the Batch Rename mode the text boxes will be the color of the background of the view you came from. So if you use a dark or black background in the thumbnail or media views the text boxes in the Batch Rename window will be the same color and you won't be able to see the text you enter. Simple Solution: change the background to a lighter color, I use light gray and save it in the View Options pane as separate view option that can be easily applied when I need to do some renaming.

I would also download and reapply the 10.5.3 COMBO updater.

Good luck.
focus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Toad wrote:
I would also download and reapply the 10.5.3 COMBO updater. Good luck.

I am also running 3.1.3 successfully under OS X 10.5.3. An application normally should not be able to cause a kernel panic directly; it's usually walled off from the system itself. iView could be calling on something in OS X that somehow got messed up, and that may in turn cause the kernel panic. For example, a QuickTime image format component may have gotten corrupted, and iView uses QuickTime extensively.

Therefore I concur that applying the 10.5.3 Combo Updater is probably really good idea since it will reset some parts of the core system, and also because running the combo does fix problems sometimes. After that, you might try running Software Update and making sure QuickTime is up to date.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: