iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAW importer - dcraw freeware

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchcohen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: RAW importer - dcraw freeware Reply with quote

I ran across this site: http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/, where someone offers a free/open source raw decoder. It's technically written for Linux, but others have obviously made it part of Mac and Windows applications (including Adobe for its raw importer!). Seems pretty good too, judging by the offsite mentions he links to.

I only mention this because after every iView update someone complains about their raw format (usually Canon) breaking, and someone else says how there are so many versions of this-or-that-library, yadda yadda. If this guy's code is as good as it looks, it might completely do away with the need for these outside libraries, not to mention freeing iView's programmers from the headache.

...Mitch
roberte

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Coffin is a legend for his contribution to decoding raw camera formats. DCRAW is but a beginning. It gives you a pretty ugly, low contrast, dark image without EXIF (forget IPTC) information. Those asset managers that use dcraw I found useless, for reasons I mentioned.

I much prefer the way iView MediaPro uses manufacturers SDKs that gives us camera-like images, with EXIF and IPTC data.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> File formats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: